Sleeving a gas pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just found a couple of places in my new installation where it's going to be very difficult, if not impossible to achieve the 25mm clearance between an internal 15mm gas pipe and a couple of cables.

Is there a reasonably flexible plastic conduit that could be slid over the gas pipe to provide a shield?

The regs say that the clearance may be reduced in such a case, but it isn't specific. How much reduced?

Would a length of 22mm plastic water pipe count as insulation if it was slid over the gas pipe?

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Excellent idea, thanks for the link. It's easier to sleeve the pipe because it's being fitted, whereas the cables are already in and connected. I'm sure it won't matter which is insulated.
Cheers
Andrew

Sponsored Links
You can buy plastic coated Kuterlex (yellow) copper pipe for gas, but only the Kuterlex Plus pipe legally is classed as a sleeve.

in this case it isn't a "legal" gas sleeve that is required but electrical insulation, so anything that is electrically insulated will do, best option is to keep 25mm clearance but BS???? (can't remember number!!) states if it is not possible to have 25mm gap it is best endeavour to seperate pipe and cable with insulated material but no minimum gap is stated because it is insulated, so i have used plastic pipe over gas pipe where it passes cable, slit along the length opened up and with the cut to the back, if too tight for plastic i have used insulating tape over the pipe, both methods passed as acceptable by an electrical C.O.W. so I have used these methods several times on kitchen refurbs where gas pipe cable seperation is not possible without major work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back