Sliding Door Gear Ball Race-why does "914mm" measu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the sliding door gear (aka Door Sliding Ball Race) for my 30" (762mm) interior sliding door. I want the door to slide open fully so I assumed that I need a track that has a minimum width of say 1,524mm(762mm x 2).

So I go to screwfix and the helpful server shows me one that is labelled as a "914mm".

I see that 914mm is about 3'. But selling a 3' track for a 3' door would mean the door would not be able to slide anywhere or else it would fall off the end of the track (unless there was a stop).

So I wonder if "914mm" refers not to the track but it is the nominal measurement of a 3' door and the track is much longer than the nominal / quoted 914mm.

So I measure it and find that the "914mm" actually measures about 1,450mm long. This would not be wide enough to allow a 3' door to open, surely. I ask the helpful person at Screwfix to explain, but she is unable to.

Sponsored Links
Yep, indeed.

I just got an email from a manager at Screwfix as my enquiry was escalated there. He tells me, as I guessed, that the size "914mm" refers to the width of the door being suspended.

I suppose it is obvious to you more experienced folks (but not so obvious to the sales staff) but I did not want to get up the ladder to find I had bought the wrong size.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back