Sliding mitre saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know we’ve been here before, but it was an old post and the tool trade moves fast.

I want a sliding mitre saw and I’m after some recommendations from the good and the wise on this site. I know what I want, but I don’t really know what I should be looking for, if that makes sense.

I’m an enthusiastic DIYer. Most weekends I’m busy doing something, usually working off the ever growing list of jobs from Mrs Therms. The saw will probably only receive light use, but when I do use it it’s important it’s man enough for the job.

This month I’m fitting an oak floor, later in the year I’ll be building a new shed, there’ll be other jobs… in between it’ll sit in the shed.

I also want it to last. I don’t want to buy a plastic wonder that will fail after the first heavy use.

I’m not a brand hoar and am happy to have a Wickes special if it’s the right thing. I want a reasonable depth of cut. I’ll be fitting skirting boards after I’ve laid the floor and it would be great if the saw was able to cut them. And then there’s the money. I’m not rich, far from, and I’m not a professional who will see a return on investment, but I am a realist. I’m not expecting to get what I want for £50, but at the same time I don’t really want to be paying £300.

So, I guess I’m looking for a saw with good features, good motor, a depth of cut that I’m not sure what it should be and costing £150ish.

Any and all sensible comments greatly received.

Thanks

Therms

Sponsored Links
I mentioned in a couple of similar threads that my 285mm Macallister slidiing mitre saw with laser line was £129 from BnQ. Cheaper now i think. And its done me proud. Its cut through upwards of 500 laminate floorboards, over a dozen 8"x7" joists and myriad of other wood, all on the same blade.

I've had it about 3 years iirc. It may benefit from a better blade now and possibly re-aligning, but its done damned well.

Have you checked out the Evolution Rage?

Sponsored Links
Therms - re: Axminster tackle ... why not cross the border and drive down to their showroom (almost hanger size - big) in Sittingbourne (40mins drive if your near the border) and have a 'hands-on' experience. You'll also wet your pants at all the other tackle on display ... worth a trip anyway.

You'll also wet your pants at all the other tackle on display

oh why did that make me chuckle,

or take a look in your local free ad paper and see what is on offer,you never know what decent piece of kit there could be for a few quid compared to brand new?

Thanks Symptom,

I could take a day out and go the the Administer store, but I never will. I’m a bloke and as such I understand that I can not resist buying power tools, regardless of whether I need them or not.

I’d come out with wet pants and an empty wallet.

Is the tool of choice the B&Q number?

Can I ask, just to limit my search, if there is anything specific I need to look for; like a specific depth of cut, or an all metal body, or anything else?

I've also got the rage.

Its an excellent bit of kit for the money, and cuts metal as well.

Kev

Sweet,

You can pick up the Evolution RAGE255 255mm Sliding Compound Mitre Saw 230V for £150 from Screwfix.

I'm going to hold a a couple of weeks before buying, so please let me have any other recommendations.

Thanks again for your time.

you can get the rage 3 from B&Q for £134.98 but you will need to ring a few stores as we had to go to derby to get ours.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back