Slight humming in pipes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a new boiler fitted but before this had some taps changed in the bathroom. We had to turn the stop tap off as the tap had no isolation valve and obviously when the boiler was fitted. Randomly I can hear like a spring board sound which basically lasts a few seconds. Almost sounds like when you twang one of those spring door stoppers. Impossible to record the sound as I never know when it's going to do it next. I seem to think it's coming from under the stairs cupboard where the stop tap is. Stop tap is on a lead pipe. I have caught the sound once or twice and it seems to be coming from that area. Sometimes hear it more during the night rather than the daytime. The stop tap did leak after the taps were fitted but tightened the nut gland on the tap and this stopped the leak. The sound cannot be replicated from flushing the loo or running taps or turning the boiler on. I'm at a.loss what this could be. Any ideas please?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
try playing about with the position of the stop tap ie if fully open try closing it slightly every day to see if noise goes or changes

I have recently had a new boiler fitted but before this had some taps changed in the bathroom. We had to turn the stop tap off as the tap had no isolation valve and obviously when the boiler was fitted. Randomly I can hear a humming sound which basically lasts a few seconds. Impossible to record the sound as I never know when it's going to do it next. I seem to think it's coming from under the stairs cupboard where the stop tap is. Stop tap is on a lead pipe. I have caught the sound once or twice and it seems to be coming from that area. Sometimes hear it more during the night rather than the daytime. The stop tap did leak after the taps were fitted but tightened the nut gland on the tap and this stopped the leak. The sound cannot be replicated from flushing the loo or running taps or turning the boiler on. I'm at a.loss what this could be. Any ideas please?

Could it be water hammer? I am not a plumber but I would imagine that water hammer over a sort distance might make a humming noise.

water is an excellent sound transmission medium and massively amplifies any sounds. Pump, water hammer loose pipe, all kinds can cause sounds.
Humming is most likely the sound of the pump

Sponsored Links
TBH it started before when the boiler was installed. Sure it has something to do with the stopcock. Too many turns....too little turns.....(shrugs shoulders)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back