Slight leak from boiler connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was doing some work at a relative's house last week and noticed that there was a drip from the boiler. It's from the hot water (taps) connection.

When I mentioned it they said it had been like that since it was installed a couple of years ago and as it was a slight drip the plumber when called out did something and said if it still drips just wait for it to seal it self.

Now it is still leaking slowly and has a quite a bit of muck(?) stuck on the coupler. They just keep a saucepan under it and empty it every so often.

When I noticed it I said I would replace it when I next visit, but I'm not quite certain what I need to do.

It looked to be a half inch screw fitting coming out of the boiler and is a 15 mm pipe connected with just a compression fitting.

Can I just take another one off any 15 mm compression coupler in my toolbox, clean up the pipe and put it on? Or should I get a "WICKES FEMALE IRON STRAIGHT COUPLER 12 X 15MM" and use that (I think I might need to shorten the pipe slightly)?

I was going to go with the first option but then I got confused about whether I would use ptfe tape or not then I wasn't sure if they were actually 1/2 inch.

This forum is where I usually find my answers when I have a DIY question but I can't quite seem to find my answer here or anywhere else, so I've finally joined and posted.

Thanks in advance
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Any chance of a photo?

Make and model of boiler?

Daniel.

I wish I did so I could check myself. It was just a compression nut connected to the boiler output and 15 mm pipe - leaking from the screw connection to the boiler.

I can't get over there until next weekend and so can't get a picture until then. I'll try with just a compression nut and some ptfe tape then (unless anyone here tells me not to) and only go to Wickes if if that didn't work. But I'd rather get it fixed in one quick go.

I'm really sorry about that.

If it is leaking from a compression nut, only need to remake it, that's all.

It might be fibre washer need renewing, that is why we need to know what boiler it is.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
If it is leaking from a compression nut, only need to remake it, that's all.

It might be fibre washer need renewing, that is why we need to know what boiler it is.

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel,

I'm not sure where a washer would go, it's just a compression nut at the moment.

Am I right in thinking that a 15 mm compression nut from anywhere else is actually a half inch screw fitting?

Turn the stop tap off and drain hot water, looking from below undo the nut anti-clockwise. Rake the old washer out (terminal driver will do it). Put new washer in and re-do nut. Careful not to over tighten or you'll crush the bend.

A compression nut for 15mm copper pipe will most likely have a 1/2bsp thread, although the thread measures more like 7/8in diameter. The 1/2in comes from the bore size when steel pipe was used.
A compression nut has the inner face conical so it fits the conical shape of the olive.
The olive is compressed and squeezed on to the pipe making a seal between olive and pope and between olive and the fitting.
A tap fitting nut works differently. There is no conical face cause there is no olive.
The tap fitting is in two parts (three with the nut)
A fibre washer is fitted between the two parts and the nut pulls the two parts together to form the seal.
The nut on a 1/2tap fitting may also have a1/2bsp thread but it's not the thread where the sealing takes place

We really need either the boiler make or a pic to see what type of fitting it is you wish to seal and allow you to be advised correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back