connecting to a section of mis-shapen pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A push-fit coupler that connects to the 15mm copper tail pipes on my Kitchen tap is leaking. I tried a new pushfit coupler but no luck and on closer inspection noticed that the tail pipe has been crushed so is not perfectly round. The problem is worse higher up the pipe (closer to the tap), so cutting won't help.

Is there any connection that can be made to a mis-shapen pipe? I'm pretty sure compression won't work - so basically I'm wondering whether a soldered joint (something I've never used before) will work? If not how are these tail pipes typically connected to the tap? Are they replaceable?

Sponsored Links
getting a replacement may not be so easy and a soldered connection would be the usual solution and it takes minutes with what a plumber would carry with him.

Tony

Thanks guys. I think I might invest in a gas torch and give a soldered joint a go first then.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I think I might invest in a gas torch and give a soldered joint a go first then.

good luck with that.mate.

|Seriously, blowlamps aren't cheap, add in cost of consumables, and you might be spending more than a local plumber, especially if you can find a CC (lol). if you go down the diy route, and if you haven't previously done this, I would advise a test on some scrap.

|Seriously, blowlamps aren't cheap, add in cost of consumables, and you might be spending more than a local plumber, especially if you can find a CC (lol). if you go down the diy route, and if you haven't previously done this, I would advise a test on some scrap.

another doyle from screwfux

jeez :rolleyes:

Hmm... or i could get a new mono-block tap with tails for just £50. Just seems wrong to throw the tap because the pipes are buggered. Maybe I'll see how those tails actually connect into the tap first and take it from there. Thanks for reining in my enthusiasm.

So next question, my tap is held on by a long nut with a slot in it. What's the correct tool to undo this? I don't have a screwdriver with a wide enough head to fit the slot and don't have a socket set to fit over the nut.

Am i m issing something???

Just by a set of 10 0r 8mm flexible (Which ever fit) tails and fit in.....then connect to a section of pipe on the flow side that isn't damaged (or add a new T and pipe stub)

Or even easier (and cheaper) get a 15mm conex straight connector and some boss white paste, as you tighten it up it'll round the pipe up. If its too bad to get the fitting on use a pair of pliers to get it somewhere near round.

Or even easier (and cheaper) get a 15mm conex straight connector and some boss white paste, as you tighten it up it'll round the pipe up. If its too bad to get the fitting on use a pair of pliers to get it somewhere near round.

What's a conex straight connector and how do they solve my problem? Is this another type of connection that can be made to pipework that I've not heard of? I found a few things on screwfix with those 3 words in their name... but can't see how they solve the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back