Slight leak on boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a slight leak on my Gloworm CXI30

I've attached a picture from the manual to show where its coming from and also a picture of the leak itself.

i'm guessing its just the seal failed on the domestic hot water elbow? If so is it something i should try to fix myself?
Ive been looking for a part number for the seal but only thing in the manual is "P Sealing washer 16x24x1.5".

On the other hand i may be getting a new boiler, if so could i do a temp fix with some self amalgamating tape to that too dodgy?

Thanks,
P

glowormcxi30.jpg leak.jpg

Sponsored Links
Assuming this is something you can do without removing the cover, you could try tightening the nut which appears to be leaking. Might be enough to reseal.

Looking at the tool marks on that nut it looks like that's been nipped up a few times. There's probably a fibre washer in there that starting to disintegrate. Isolate the cold feed to the boiler and loosen that nut and replace whatever's in there.

I agree, probably just a simple fibre washer. Water off at the stop tap, turn taps on to drain it, undo that union and dig out what is left of the washer. You will be able to get a replacement from a plumbers merchant 16x24x1.5mm, before you start.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, ill give that go.
Do you think somewhere like screwfix will sell the washer?
Cant seem to find one anywhere :(

Thanks again,
I'll give them a visit soon when it opens. Tried yesterday but they closed at dinnertime.

Well just got back and no-one has any :confused:

Plumbcentre/Wolseley haven't any and said they only sell them in bags of 50 if i wanted to order some but the warehouse is closed till after new year.
Told me to get in touch with glow worm and they might send me a couple out. :rolleyes:

Never thought trying to get a washer would be so difficult, lol.

I think i might just have to call someone out. Any idea of a rough price i should be paying to have the washer replaced? (NorthEast)

Still haven't got it sorted, so I've loosened the pipe and took the washer out. It wasn't what i was expecting at all.
Its hard plastic :eek:

This isn't a 24x16x1.5 fibre washer i was originally looking for, Any ideas what i should be looking for now?

Heres some pics of what was in.

20210102_095254.jpg 20210102_095304.jpg 20210102_095333.jpg 20210102_095351.jpg

Did you damage the washer?

You can fit either a fibre or a plastic washer.

Have you got a new washer yet?

Did you damage the washer?

You can fit either a fibre or a plastic washer.

Have you got a new washer yet?

Thats how the washer came out :(

Haven't managed to get one yet, but its definitely not the size i was originally looking for though.

Looks like it's worn through the washer.

What are the dimensions of the washer?

Measurements, although i'd imagine the compression would have deformed it slightly.

20210102_101403.jpg
20210102_101425.jpg
20210102_102049.jpg

Still haven't got it sorted, so I've loosened the pipe and took the washer out. It wasn't what i was expecting at all.
Its hard plastic :eek:

This isn't a 24x16x1.5 fibre washer i was originally looking for, Any ideas what i should be looking for now?

Heres some pics of what was in.

Obvious why it was leaking. A fibre one would work there. My best suggestion is take it along to a plumbers merchant and ask them to try to match it.

Failing that, you can get from a motor factors (DIY car shop), a tube of goo they use to make gasket seals, providing it is not for potable water.

Me - I would try to make a fibre washer from several layers of cornflake packet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back