Slight leak on new boiler - problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The background...

I had a new boiler fitted on Friday - a Vaillant Ecotec plus 612.

Not sure if this is connected but when I toook my monthly meter readings this morning I noticed that the water meter dial was moving yet nothing was being used in the house, I thought it might have been the cistern filling up or something but checked half an hour or so later and it was still moving. Just checked now and it is static.

There is a very slight leak/drip on a pipe marked 'overflow which comes out from the bottom of the boiler - see pic - is this something I can fix myself with some kind of putty or gel or will I need to get the boiler people back?

The silver bread bin undeneath the boiler was wiped dry last night so the small 'puddle' which looks like three or four drops of water has taken about 12 hours to accumulate.

vr8ykx.jpg

Sponsored Links
This is condensate output pipe and will take water away from the boiler when its working.

Its not urgent and the installer can fix the small leak when he next makes a routine visit in a week or so.

Tony

That pipe is to drain the condensate away from your boiler. It's slightly acidic (like vinegar). The pipe and fittings are 21.5mm overflow - They can be 'push-fit' or 'solvent weld'.

At a guess it's probably been put together without enough solvent cement.

Ideally this should be fitted to an internal waste pipe, if it goes outside, the pipe size should be increased before it goes out and insulated.

Get them back to sort as it's a new install...

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, pleased to hear it's nothing untoward. I will mention it for when they next have a job in the area as don't want them to make a special journey if it's nothing to worry about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back