Slight mould on new Dot & Dabbed Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

1st visit in here , I’m looking for some advice :-

Unoccupied 2 Bedroom Semi , no central Heating at present
The Property is undergoing a full refurb , with a recently added single storey Extension , this is where a problem has arisen :-

Whilst drying out I’ve noted that in one Corner of the Extension there is shadowing almost a damp type stain with a slight growth on the face of the Plaster , this growth wipes off no problem , there is a small similar area of staining under the Steel Lintel area and at the bottom of the Doir reveals , The Wall is Plasterboard dot & dabbed then skimmed , Walls are Brick / Rockwool Wall Slab / Blockwork

The Extension was built during inclement Weather but was covered up as best as it could be during Construction , there is no new ingress of Water on checking Walls etc

putting a damp Meter on it shows around 20% on the majority of the Walls but around 26-28% in the problem area

I’m questioning will this staining / growth go away as the Walls dry out further , when painted is it likely to break through the Paint finish

is there a primer I can paint the Walls with prior to decoration ?
Any feedback would be appreciated

thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Luckyphil, good evening.

Suggest you take no drastic action just now but.

When is the property due to be occupied?

Is there a working Central heating system installed? or is it still work in progress? If the system is working suggest you fire it up on a low setting say @ about 35 / 40 C? this will re-introduce heat slowly so as not to cause any issues with a sudden shock from an un-heated space to a space heated to 20 C.

Ken.

Hi Ken

it’s still unoccupied at present , there’s back ground Heating kicking in occasionally, the Central Heating is due to go in Mid January & my Step Daughter is purchasing hopefully in March / April , so hopefully things will clear up then ?
Thanks for your reply

Phil

Sponsored Links
Luckyphil, good evening, again.

If possible, introduce and increase heat slowly, that way [hopefully] nothing reacts to being cold one day and a lot warmer the next?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back