Dot and Dab marks coming through new plaster...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. In need of advice please.

I've recently started work on my front bedroom of my old mid terraced single brick exterior wall home. I decided to remove all the wallpaper and old plaster as in places it was crumbling. The plasterer said he would dry line the wall with dots and dabs...I left him to it as he is the tradesman. I know he pva'ed the wall prior to fixing the plaster boards. Now after a coat of water/paint mix (50/50) and several layers of crown paint you can see noticeable wet/damp/yellow marks where the dabs of plaster are. This is after about a month on the wall. I'm not fussed about making contact with him but just want to know the best option I have in regards to type of paint or solution to get rid of the marks.

Many thanks in advance for the comments.

Sponsored Links
How long after the plasterer finished did you wait before you started painting?

You should have used insulated PB. It'll all get worse in winter.

It was about two to two 1/2 weeks after he finished. It was definitely dry as got a dehumidifier in that room too. Was just big standard pb he used as I went with him to get it so I could pay for it.

Sponsored Links
Wet/damp marks probably mean that it still is wet/damp! I'd leave it alone for a while longer, then repaint. I am not sure if it will dry underneath the paint tho, maybe someone else here would know. And as a total stab in the dark, is it possible that you have water coming in from the outside? I'd check your bricks.

By the way, a dehumid is not the best thing to dry newly plastered walls - it can lead to cracks. Open windows and a slow dry is best normally.

The very least you should have done is use foil backed board.

I hate to put a dampner (no pun) on things, but i fear your situation will simply not get any better.

Take a look at what some cowboys did to our wall with dotting & dabbing on a damp wall when they guaranteed this would NOT happen...

We used to have a damp wall. Now we have a damp wall with mould & it gets worse by the day.

I hope your situation wont turn out as bad but just google "dot & dab on damp wall". I warn you - prepare yourself.

Solution for us? £1,660 worth of plaster has to be removed & start again.

Thanks for all the honest but quite worrying feedback. Now that I'm at a point of no return is there a solution to block the damp patches. Think I might have a look in bnq. The more I look at the patches the more annoyed I get that I've paid good money to have replastering done and it looks a mess!

Just a question, but why not ask the plasterer to come back and rectify his mistake? You pay good money and he should fix it for free.

Ha well it was my girlfriends uncle who did it and from start to finish he didn't do anything I asked and the job isn't the neatest - I spent a full day going round with polyfilla. He came back once as plaster fell off part if the ceiling day after plastering. I am not the type to cause trouble with the girlfriends family so just going to try fixing the problem by myself.

Fair enough, and probably for the best that he didn't come around again by the sounds of it anyway! Good luck with it all.

Thought I would let you know how I got on seen as you were all kind enough to have some input. About a week ago I gave the patches a good coat of 'ronseal one coat damp seal' when that had dried I when back over with the original paint emulsion. Job seems to be a gooden - can't see the patches and I hope it stays that way! Cheers.

Make sure you keep the room well ventilated as those spots will be colder than other areas in the winter and would be a magnet for condensation which could then form mould.

No amount of damp seal will fix that as the moisture would be coming from the inside.

Thanks for the advice. It's in the main bedroom and luckily I like the window being open blowing in with fresh air. I accept it's not an ideal or perminant fix but fingers crossed will be ok for a whole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back