dot & dab over artex wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a painted artex wall that i would like to replace with wallpaper (or maybe just paint).

Can I use the dot & dab on plasterboard over the painted artex?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can be done but i dont recomend it as the weight of the gyproc could make the gyproc fall off. It could fall off due to the paint that is on the artex could come away or the artex could come away from the already plastered wall (if u see what i mean). Best thing to do is get a plasterer in to float & skim your walls.

aslong as the background is solid it will be OK to dab, the artex will give it a good key to make it stick. ;)

jbonding said:
aslong as the background is solid it will be OK to dab, the artex will give it a good key to make it stick. ;)
I agree with you "jbonding" though if the artex has not been correctly painted over in the past then the emulsion will pull from the artex, causing loss of adhesion. Also, if the artex that is on the wall was not correctly sealed prior to artexing then again the artex will pull from that surface also and fall off. Do you think maybe that "vern" is maybe better finding the joints and maybe overboarding and screw onto surface in question ? How thick is the artex "vern" ?

Sponsored Links
the artex are not that thick, its only around 3mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back