Slightly odd plumbing question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, merry chuffin christmas.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

I have an odd setup - cheap builder to blame....but thats another story....

Cold water tank in loft, thats all, no other tanks. Combi boiler providing hot water to radiators, taps & shower. I can hear a drip coming from behind the (standalone) shower so take off the covers to the valve and yes, there's a drip. OK, turn off the main water valve - still water coming through the cold taps.....(Is this because the cold taps are fed from the water tank in the roof?) and the shower valve is still dripping. Take off the valve and a portion of the valve has worn away but on replacing the rubber o-ring inside, it still drips....this is getting annoying now, cue argument with wife, quick shout at the kids...back to it. Except I'm stuck - is it plumber time? Will another shower valve stop the drip?

Any advice gratefully received.....

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you left the cold water tank because the builder was crap and did not re-plumb to connect direct to the mains. If it were me I would just get rid of the tank and connect that cold supply to the mains. Of course if your mains pressure / flow is bad he may have left the cold to come from a tank so as not to upset the limited supply now directed mainly to the hot. In that case I would leave it!

As for the shower valve, a leak on the body of the shower should have been fixed with a new seal - always providing it was seated properly and not damaged. If the new seal has no improvement I would suspect some corrosion somewhere around the seal and so time to replace the valve body.

Just replacing the cartridge may not solve the problem - If the leak was where the spindle exits the valve then yes, otherwise no. I would suggest you refit to find exactly where the water leaks from. Toilet paper is a good indicator of any part that is wet. Just wipe a suspect area with a clean and dry piece and any dampness will show on the paper.

Edit: twice for grammar/spelling and this - please get some decent tools as the metalwork you have is chewed up something awful ;)

You'll maybe find what you are looking for at Lunns.net or the showerdoc
Both excellent firms with quick delivery.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you left the cold water tank because the builder was crap and did not re-plumb to connect direct to the mains. If it were me I would just get rid of the tank and connect that cold supply to the mains. Of course if your mains pressure / flow is bad he may have left the cold to come from a tank so as not to upset the limited supply now directed mainly to the hot. In that case I would leave it!

This is something I'm going to have looked at in the new year - I'm assuming its a fairly large job? Or not so much? Or does it depend on too many variables? Sorry for all the questions....!

This is something I'm going to have looked at in the new year - I'm assuming its a fairly large job? Or not so much? Or does it depend on too many variables? Sorry for all the questions....!

Before you do anything make sure it was not left in due to a poor cold water supply. Flow rate and pressure together ideally but at least you can measure the flow - i.e. How many litres a minute can your water main deliver?

Otherwise it is very simple technically, but the arrangement of the pipework might make more work of it than we can foresee. The single biggest issue would be you don't want to introduce potential for air locks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back