slim sockets/switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are the rear projections on all switches the same? I am trying to get hold of some sockets/switches that don't protrude into the mounting box too much so I can get away with a 16mm metal enclosure.

anyone got any ideas? thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
DyslexicGrimsbySparkie said:
are the rear projections on all switches the same? I am trying to get hold of some sockets/switches that don't protrude into the mounting box too much so I can get away with a 16mm metal enclosure.

anyone got any ideas? thanks in advance

theyll go futher back intot he box. and can i ask why your using 16mm boxes for sockets?

thanks for the replies.

andrew, in reply to your question. the customer wants me to cut the minimum depth into the wall for the enclosure. The actual surface is tiled so that adds around another 5-6mm.

I did try to convice them to use a 25mm enclosure but we shall see how it goes.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.

andrew, in reply to your question. the customer wants me to cut the minimum depth into the wall for the enclosure. The actual surface is tiled so that adds around another 5-6mm.

I did try to convice them to use a 25mm enclosure but we shall see how it goes.

youll be lucky if you can get a normal socket into a 16mm backbox, let along a bigger socket. has it ever occoured to him you need to fit the length of the pins in a plug into the wall, and then you have cables behind it

and i dont like the sound of 'the customer wants...'

Tell the customer you are the professional. You know that to do a safe sound professional job you need a minimum of 25mm boxes for power accessories and 16mm for lighting. If you want slimline accessories, you may well need min of 25 for switches and 35 for sockets.

MK recommend 35mm min for power and lighting accessories, and even in some cases 47mm.

So look out. Fit the shallow boxes and I guarantee they will not fit. Then you're up 5h1t creek because you'll have to do an Orange Juice (Rip It Up And Start Again).

25mm is the minimum for sockets that should be installed, anything less and you will damage the cables.

If you want a slimline faceplate then you will be looking to 35mm or 47mm as Siman has pointed out.

To be honest I am amazed that a qualified Spark even need to ask this question, simple good practice should dictate that 25mm is the absolute minimu ofr a socket!! :confused:

with a 16mm enclosure the actual depth will be 21mm because of the tiled surface (extra 5-6mm)

I am aware you need 25mm with most fitments but if "slim" (minimal protrusion into the enclosure) sockets are available then a 21mm total distance may be enough.

The customer wants a slim enclosure because he is concerned about the stability of the wall on the other side. its a hufhaus. I would just like to point out in my defence that the existing boxes are 20mm although these were built into the wall - I suspect in Germany

I am aware you need 25mm with most fitments but if "slim" (minimal protrusion into the enclosure) sockets are available then a 21mm total distance may be enough.

er... WTF are you talkin about. the plug has pins what have to go into the socket. therefore the socket must be thicker than the length of the pins. slim sockets will actually go further into the wall, as they stick out of the wall less. which means you need even deeper backboxes

what would you call a socket that has minimal protrusion into the box? I termed it "slim" (with inverted commas to emphasise the looseness) as I believe there is no industry standard terminolgy for this.

I know that when manufacturers say slim they mean the face of the socket doens't come out of the wall that much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back