Slip membrane for large steel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a large steel (6m span) in my garage extension to support the roof. I found this (https://www.nhbc.co.uk/binaries/con...ce/6.1/lintels-over-wide-garage-openings-.pdf) online and I'm trying to understand it.

From what I understand, I put two pieces of DPC under the steel, but I can't understand what it's saying about a cavity tray on top. The steel will only sit on the inner skin, so I can't understand why the outer skin would need a slip membrane too o_O

I'm wondering whether I should wrap the whole thing in two pieces of DPC or put two pieces under it and then one on top. I don't know whether the flange of the universal column would also need to have a slip membrane but it doesn't mention those, only the top and bottom.

Sponsored Links
If it's a single leaf wall then you won't have any use for a cavity tray, as there is no cavity.

Just the two slip sof DPC below the steel are needed - however personally I've never specified this.

It is a cavity wall, but I still can't see why I would need a tray as the steel won't stick into the cavity. It's only supporting a roof, so there will only be a 500-600mm blocks above it.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I know what a cavity tray is as I've done them for my Windows etc., but just can't understand what it has to do with thermal movement

Steels are done now, just a couple of pieces of DPC below the steel.

See what the lintel manufacturer says. Most of them say yes, in order to direct any moisture from the cavity outwards.
It's in the middle of a garage, not an external wall. It's also not a lintel, it's a steel universal column. The question is whether I need a slip membrane on top (a single piece of DPC).

In that case no. You don't need it for moisture reasons.

It's a bit hard to say whether there needs to be provision for thermal movement just looking at one beam in isolation. I don't think I'd bother. As beams aren't usually bedded in (like lintels are) I don't think it'd be much of a problem as far as the beam is concerned. If it's all internal, thermal effects won't be very significant anyway.

I've never specified a slip plane on such a beam, and neither have I seen it specified by engineers.

And TBH, it is a load of nonsense.

I've never specified a slip plane on such a beam, and neither have I seen it specified by engineers.

And TBH, it is a load of nonsense.
Agree. It's like when they rush to install wind posts on every bloody beam. :rolleyes:

I think I won't bother with DPC on top then. I think it's good to have it under the steel though as it should help take out any unevenness in the concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back