Slippery decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Made this "bridge" over our pond with 19mm. decking. It's been in about a yearMy wife slipped and fell on it. What is the best way to stop in being slippery. Was thinking about sand but how to get it to stick?

Attachments

• IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
If you don't mind the look of it, wire mesh stapled to the decking works well. Weldmesh tends to work better than chicken (rabbit) netting

There is a paint with grit added?
Or you can buy what looks like emery board/paper and is intended as a non slip. Looks a bit industrial though?

Well, had a look at the paint with grit but it's too expensive.
Took the idea though, scrubbed the decking and painted it with Owatrol E-B, then immediatly added sand. Seems to work but a couple of days later the rains came and washed most of it away.
She'll have to be more careful!!

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Paint with added sand will do the same thing as the expensive paint ;)

That looks good. I have more decking (flat), but it is also very slippery after the rains. As you can see on the left of the picture there is a large tree which I think is the main cause of the slipperiness. Will try that, thanks.

Osmo anti-slip decking oil but you need to hang a tarp underneath while applying as it wont do life in the pond any good if it falls in as a liquid! If you've got expensive fish in the pond then I'd avoid it and go for the normal osmo decking oil - the anti slip contains solids (grip) and biocides (to prevent algal growth etc), the regular does not but will reduce slippiness by dint of keeping the boards 'dry'.

I'd add that on my deck the osmo anti slip lasted 2 years before needing reapplying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back