Slipping purlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've noticed a purlin slipping its position in the loft and was looking for advice on the best way to repair. I first noticed a gap probably up to 5mm 6 months ago or so, but now reckon the gap is probably just over 1cm which is rather worrying!

Is it something straightforward to do? If so, what are the options as I want a good solid fix to last many years? If it's more for the professionals, is it a job for a joiner rather than a roofing contractor and what would you expect the cost to be? (ballpark figures would be fine!)

Have attached photos as I know these are popular! Only used the flash on 1 picture as think the gap showed better without.

Thanks in advance for advice/suggestions/expected cost

View media item 34761 View media item 34762View media item 34764View media item 34765

Sponsored Links
its hard to tell with just a foto but ithink the struts could b replaced with them birds mouthed on to perlin ,make sure from low bearin wall then some collars bolted fom underneath each side of perlins

Thanks for reply, but I don't think the strut is a problem - I thought the fix was most likely to strengthen/brace the purlin join with a steel plate bolted through and was looking for thoughts/advice on this?

Any suggestions appreciated. :)

Cant see it ever twisting enough to slip out! but as you say a couple of plates bolted through to keep it together wont do any harm.

Not quite sure but think rooferpro was suggesting installing another strut to the slipped purlin, then it wouldn't matter if it was tied to its neighbour.

Sponsored Links
Get 2 metal plates made up and drilled, then place either side of timber and bolt through.

Andy

:rolleyes: Yes, I know it's duplicated however when I was researching the topic the first "purlin" matches came up in Roofing & Guttering before then finding some in Building.

And you never know who knows........!

@Andy - can you pick up the metal plates off the shelf somewhere as I don't need too unusual a shape?? Thanks

Maybe the mods could merge threads????? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back