Rotten purlin ends and other mess - Easy fix, or run a mile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

I've had an offer accepted on a house that's got a pretty long list of issues. Most of them I'm confident with fixing myself, but this one's bugging me as I worry it might be a nightmare to sort. I've got no experience with roofs so excuse any incorrect/dodgy terminology :censored:

After looking closely at the gable, the purlin ends look to be rotting away, and the rafter which I assume is holding up the slates & overhang above looks to be in a state. Scrolling back in time on google maps shows the slates were replaced around 15 years ago, but all of the pvc covers etc. which protected that end are long gone. I reckon it's all been exposed to the elements and ill-maintained for many years since. Several tiles have slipped/blown on off in the interim - this must be a windy corner.

A loft room with velux windows was added in 2011, but the roof appears to have a bow in it that's been there unchanged at least since 2009 according to street view. Some damp looks to have affected the plaster surrounding one of the exposed purlins in the loft, which has been reinforced at some point.

I've held off proceeding with the mortgage/conveyancing until a structural survey is done. We've scraped together to finally afford to buy and got a reasonable price provided there's not a serious issue here (I've mostly got aesthetic stuff and a kitchen to tackle). I'd sooner back out and save the £800 on the survey if there's likely a serious issue with the roof, rather than throwing money away and it falling through anyway.

Any advice from you guys in the know would be much appreciated! Pics attached

Attachments

• roof1.PNG
    roof1.PNG
    725.3 KB · Views: 107
  • roof2.PNG
    roof2.PNG
    745.3 KB · Views: 97
  • roof3.PNG
    roof3.PNG
    436.8 KB · Views: 93
  • roof4.PNG
    roof4.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 92
  • roof5.PNG
    roof5.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Cant see the wood for the trees, post some pics of the internal structure of the roof.

Blup

From your description:
Rotten timber could be crumbly Weetabix or just a bit soft in the surface. Fixing the leak and some wet rot hardener might be all it needs.

Or the timbers could be structurally compromised and the roof need rebuilding. (Unlikely)

Worst case could be replacing all the external timber, fascias look shot, and potentially getting some steel brackets made up to reinforce any weakened timber/timber joints.

The pictures don't show a lot but I'd be more concerned as to whether the loft conversion was done properly and signed off.

Ask your surveyor to bring his big ladder and have a good look.
Also enquire about paperwork for the converted loft space.

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks! Roof issues ended up being the least of my worries.

Went back for another viewing today, asked the vendor if the conversion was signed off (estate agent pipes up rudely: 'does it look like it's got a certificate?). No inspection as he assumed it doesn't matter as it isn't being/can't be marketed as a bedroom.

It has a proper staircase that hasn't had its walls & balustrades completed. It was my understanding that once there's fixed access, the conversion is classed as habitable and should be signed off? I was made to feel like i'd asked a stupid question, but it'd be useful to know going forward as there are a few funky conversions around.

I pulled out anyway, the search continues!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back