Slipping purlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've noticed a purlin slipping its position in the loft and was looking for advice on the best way to repair. I first noticed a gap probably up to 5mm 6 months ago or so, but now reckon the gap is probably just over 1cm which is rather worrying!

Is it something straightforward to do? If so, what are the options as I want a good solid fix to last many years? If it's more for the professionals, is it a job for a joiner rather than a roofing contractor and what would you expect the cost to be? (ballpark figures would be fine!)

Have attached photos as I know these are popular! Only used the flash on 1 picture as think the gap showed better without.

Thanks in advance for advice/suggestions/expected cost

View media item 34761 View media item 34762 View media item 34764 View media item 34765

Sponsored Links
Can you tell why it is slipping. It's not the roof spreading and taking the purlin with it is it?

Assuming it is just a slip and nothing more sinister I would just fix a couple of metal straps across the joint. 3mm straps would be sufficient. Extend about 450mm...ish either side and fix with 50mm bright screws. Ideally you'd knock the purlin back in place.

Thanks for your replies.

I haven't noticed anything significant in terms of roof spread - this would be the top few bricks of the house being pushed outwards or other cracking?? Or are there other signs to look for?

For the repair - steel plate or timbers? Is either better than the other? Initially I'm thinking the steel would be better as I imagine I would need a longer run of timber to give equivalent support and I won't be able to get that much timber running along one side of the join as the strut is in the way.

Would the purlin need knocking back in place, or would you expect the tightening of the bolts to bring it back in line? (without having to support the roof at the same time!)

I have no problem in you breaking it down to dummy level for me :confused: , i.e. what length of steel/timber either side of the join (if not obstructed), how many bolts, what spacing, etc.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If you cant attach anything across the rear, then I would use a nice sized piece of angle iron on the front bolted through to two large plates/washers each side of the join (four bolts in total).

Unless it is loose, I doubt you would pull the timbers back together - you are just stopping further movement.

Ok, have just measured - before the strut gets in the way on the rear I have about 19cm of the upper part of that purlin to bolt through, and obviously more for the lower part and as much as required on the front.

Are these drilled plates something I could get from Jewson/Travis Perkins or do they need special order? Any piccies/links would be great!!! (Also the bolts/nuts!)

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back