Slope, slope step or step fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a 11.7m run with a 1 in 10 slope. Looking at doing vertical boards with minimal gaps. Putting new posts in. Neighbour has feather edge board stepped.

Not sure what is best looking to do. Stepped or slopped. And which is easier? Done a Sketchup for the stepped style.

Other option is to go progressively down in small steps per board, but not sure how this would look?

Thoughts based on experience?

Sponsored Links
Generally when its a consistant sloping garden I have it all as one consistant diagonal.

If the garden is unevenly sloped stepped can look better.

Stepped is a bit more work as there is more cutting to do and more gravel board, base of fence work to do.

How do you acheive a consistant diagonal? Do you run a line at top of first board down to last top of last board on the run and go from there?

Yes simply put up the first board and the last and run a tight stringline between. Then go down the line and check for fit. If your too high you'll have a big gap under the fence on your low spots but if your too low you'll end up having to cut lots of boards.

Put them on with screws so you can adjust.

Sponsored Links
Cool thanks.

The ground is pretty soft. On some research I was planning on putting a channel along bottom of fence with some pebble stones.. (6 inch wide or so) I have loads of these that I am getting rid off and are in the garden. Is it worth doing or a waste of time? There will be turf going down along the fence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back