sloping floor ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
part of my kitchen floor runs out of levell 10/15mm towards the door..it starts from where a wall used to be in the kitchen years ago for a seperate room etc..it will be levell the opposite way once i have finished with the slc..so in effect has a ridge as well where it starts to run out of levell! cant really levell it up to the door as then there would be a step...
is this something i will have no choice but to live with etc ? or is this a common situation you pro tilers have to deal with sloping floors slight ridges etc... im sure my tiler will blend it in best he can but just wanted to know of anything else you guys may suggest from your experience...cheers,
i also am thinking of tiling straight into the understairs cupboard & boiler cupboard both in the kitchen..is this not unusual
my tiler whom i know quite well has quoted me £400 labour for approx 25 sq metres... prob 3/4 days work is this ok..seems ok enough price to me
finally can you recomend a good quality tile adhesive :) cheers again

Sponsored Links
part of my kitchen floor runs out of levell 10/15mm towards the door..it starts from where a wall used to be in the kitchen years ago for a seperate room etc..it will be levell the opposite way once i have finished with the slc..so in effect has a ridge as well where it starts to run out of levell! cant really levell it up to the door as then there would be a step...is this something i will have no choice but to live with etc ? or is this a common situation you pro tilers have to deal with sloping floors slight ridges etc... im sure my tiler will blend it in best he can but just wanted to know of anything else you guys may suggest from your experience.
If your floor slopes but is flat then it won’t notice too much (depending!) but if part of it is out of level forming a ridge then it will definitely notice. Your tiler won’t be able to do much about it & the tiles will only accentuate it; it may actually be impossible to tile with large format tiles, difficult to say without seeing it. Where is the ridge in relation to the room, down one side? In the centre? You say a fall of 10-15mm but over what distance?

You really need to start off with at least a flat floor even if it slopes & even if this means a step at the door threshold. You can get threshold plates to cope with varying levels or you might consider running the SLC through into the next room even if you only blend in the height difference over the adjacent floor but it depends what type of floor finish you are going to have in there.

i also am thinking of tiling straight into the understairs cupboard & boiler cupboard both in the kitchen..is this not unusual
No, it’s not unusual.

my tiler whom i know quite well has quoted me £400 labour for approx 25 sq metres... prob 3/4 days work is this ok..seems ok enough price to me
That’s cheap, presumably he’s only charging you mate’s rate’s; is he actually a tiler or someone who just thinks he can tile!

finally can you recomend a good quality tile adhesive
BAL (which I use), Webber, Granfix, Mapei (but not the one in BnQ); avoid cheap own brand & DIY products, they are mostly crap. Your tiler should really be supplying the materials (additional cost) or at least telling you which brand he prefers, type of tiling materials & the quantities you need to get.

richard luckily it isnt in the main kitchen dining area but part of the l shaped return leg of the kitchen 2metres x 1.5metres approx..the ridge is on the edge of where you walk into the kitchen/dining area (6x3 approx) that seperates the 2 areas so to speak,the slope is gradual over the 2 metres to the door...it was previuosly tiled as i ripped them up & didnt notice although wasnt looking for it either.. if you look at the photos where the pipe is under the floor the channel has been filled in flush & not proud causing the ridge..but their used to be a dividing wall there yrs ago and the floor either side slopes up to form a ridge...maybe i should have took more of the floor out either side where it slopes up filling in with a bonded screed to minimise the ridge...i have since used slc in the kitchen dining area to level it out...
my tiler is qualified with 5 yrs experience and an old mate ive known 25 yrs said hes happy to do it for a wage to me :)

he said he only uses mapei adhesive & that never had a tile come loose using it,where do i purchase mapei from btw or i can ask him when i see him to get it as i will just pass on the cost of it...cheers again richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back