Sloshing sound from Just above the boiler...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't see a topic like this one, so thought a new post was best.

It's hard to describe in text, but when our heating is on, just after the boiler switches off and the pump over-runs there is a sloshing/glugging sound from what sounds like the pipes just above the boiler.

Almost like the sound of puring water into a fish-tank type noise.

I've built up a theory that it happens most when it is only heating the water.

Also, one of the radiators (the one closest to the pump in the airing cupboard) needs bleeding every couple fo weeks as it fills with air.

My guess is that when the water only is heated, the pump finds it easier to suck air through the header tank rather than around our fairly large system.

Based on that, I'm thinking of raising the header tank to increase the head of water above, but wanted to get some advice before I do anything.

I should also mention, if I put the pump on speed 2 the problem goes away, but that speed isn't sufficient to heat the rads, again due to the size of the system.

Sponsored Links
Yawn. Call Doris Stokes.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And the boiler is?

And you have what type of system?

Without knowing any of the above, other than you are the Governer and think you have a large house, check to see if you have an auto airvent either inside or just outside the boiler - and close it.

i reckon there's no by-pass fitted, or if there is its turned off!

Blockage in cold feed from header tank could be the problem as it wont even the pressure so yes that would make it suck air

Sponsored Links
Well thanks for the comments, I wasn't trying to wind anyone up, I was just trying to offer as much info as I knew to (I'm no heating expert, nor would I claim to be!).

The boiler type is an Ultrawarm 60ff, in terms of type of system I probably don't know enough to pinpoint it?

I've got 17 rads and the boiler with a tank in the airing cupboard, microbore pipework downstairs, 15mm upstairs.

Sorry I can't be specific, it's the same as every other house I've lived in and therefore makes me want to say it is a conventional system, but I guess you chaps will tell me there's no such thing :)

Regarding the auto-airvent or bypass, I've never seen one so I'm not sure what I'd be looking for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back