Slow cranking Toyota corolla 2003

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Toyota Corolla 2003 1.4 which has just started to crank really slowly. It has so far started every time, but I'm sure it will fail on me soon. I have done a voltage check on the battery, which seems fine and checked all the connections. The car seems to turn over fine from a jump start, so my question is, does this rule out the starter motor going bad? Any help would be most appreciated.
Kind regards, Kev.

Sponsored Links
The car seems to turn over fine from a jump start, so my question is, does this rule out the starter motor going bad? Any help would be most appreciated.

The voltage dropping, under heavy load, would seem to suggest the battery has a failing cell. Get it checked by any company which sells batteries, at no cost.

Hi, I have a Toyota Corolla 2003 1.4 which has just started to crank really slowly. It has so far started every time, but I'm sure it will fail on me soon. I have done a voltage check on the battery, which seems fine and checked all the connections. The car seems to turn over fine from a jump start, so my question is, does this rule out the starter motor going bad? Any help would be most appreciated.
Kind regards, Kev.
It doesn't rule out the starter, or connection,.

But battery is more likely, get it tested. Make sure it is charged before testing.

If you imagine a battery is a box of power, it can only be tested properly if it has power inside it

Sponsored Links
Get the battery fully charged which will only be possible if all the cells are in good condition.

Then do a crank test.
Unless others can tell you better, the voltage across the battery should not drop below 9.5v with the engine cranking.

Back