Slow draining Bathtub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, I am having trouble with a slow draining bathtube. If having a shower you can be stood in a couple of inches of water. When the water is turned off, it does all drain completely.

I have a run a drain snake all the way from the bath to the outside wall a couple of times and this suggests there is no blockage. If I take the bath panel off fill the bath then state rattling the pipe work it appears this helps the drainage. Makes me thing its more an angle thing than a blockage?

Any help, greatly appreciated.
p.s I removed most of the accessible pip work (plastic compression fitted etc) and cleaned them out but it made no difference. The water level sits fine in the trap, its almost as if its struggles to leave the trap and then exit the property

Sponsored Links
Obvious, but have you got a sufficient, continuous fall on the waste pipe

Last edited:
Obvious, but have you got a sufficient, continuous fall on the waste pipe

That I don't know and was my first thought, it goes under the floor not too far from the bath so I can't see it. What would be classed as "sufficient" ?

Is the waste pipe properly vented at the stack?

Yeah, and the sink which would be on the same line drains ok.

Sponsored Links
Has it always been like this or just started?

HI
I had the same problem with a bath room sink all waste pipes clean and good fall , went on for a couple of years.
Then had a problem with toilet blocked ,found a blockage on main sewer pipe ,cleaned it and had no more problems with sink so may be worth checking, rodding main sewer just a thought. Good luck

It sounds like you've already done some troubleshooting, but let's explore a few more potential solutions for your slow-draining bathtub.

1. Check for Clogs: Even though you've run a drain snake, there may still be partial blockages that are impeding the flow of water. Try using a plunger specifically designed for bathtubs to create a stronger suction and dislodge any remaining debris.
  2. Ventilation Issues: Poor ventilation can cause slow drainage by creating air bubbles in the pipes, which can impede water flow. Check for any vent pipes connected to your bathtub drain system and ensure they're not blocked or obstructed. If possible, consider adding or adjusting vent pipes to improve airflow.
  3. Inspect the Drain Assembly: Sometimes, the drain assembly itself can be the source of the problem. Remove the drain cover and visually inspect the drain assembly for any visible clogs or obstructions. Clean out any debris you find, and consider replacing the drain assembly if it's damaged or corroded.
  4. Adjust Drain Angle: As you mentioned, it's possible that the angle of the pipes is contributing to the slow drainage. If the pipes are not sloped properly or are installed at a shallow angle, water may not flow freely. Consider consulting a plumber to assess the drainage angle and make any necessary adjustments to improve water flow.

More details:
https://www.wowowfaucet.com/how-to-fix-a-slow-draining-bathtub/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back