Slow filling cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My push button toilet recently began to overflow down the pan (via D). I took the lid off and tightened screw A which resolved this (see image below).

Cistern.jpg

As I had the lid off I thought I'd troubleshoot the long standing problem of it taking 10 minutes to refill enough for another flush!

When flushed the cistern empties properly, but water just seems to drip from around the inlet valve. Looking at the design I'd have thought it would slow from pipe C but it doesn't?

What could be causing this? Also, what is B, as it doesn't seem to do anything at all during the flush/refill cycle?

Cheers,

Andy

Sponsored Links
You have probably got a filter in the filler stem somewhere, turn your water off and take it apart, if there is a filter take it out and throw it away. If not you can get new fillers that do work for around £10. Always throw any filters and flow restrictors away they are a pain in the @rse and always give you trouble and give you no benifits.

if thats a b&q wc and cistern then the best thing you can do is strip out and replace the float/fill valve assembly
replace it with a bottom entry torbek valve they are cheap and very reliable

Thanks Guys,

Whilst I try and get my stop valve working (it's stuck!) could you tell me if the fill assembly simply unscrews and can then be replaced with another?

Cheers,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Given the fact that I couldn't get a SIAMP diaphragm from Screwfix (down the road), and that it had started overflowing again, I decided to plump for a new flow valve and went for a FluidMaster 400 (I read they're better than the torbeck valves).

This was incredibly fun as the stopcock wouldn't shut fully, so i was working above a bucket and a load of towels!

This is in now, but I still have the issue of the toilet filling slowly. Do you think I need the ultra low pressure diaphragm?

The cold water tank is on the same floor, so only about 1/2 metre of head?

Cheers,

Andy

Please can someone help me!!

My toilet looks very similar to the picture at the top of this thread.

It is become very very slow to fill, I know you have said what needs to be changed - the diaphragm - but I have no idea which part of the cistern that is!!!

Is it in the 'A' part of the picture and if so, is it easy for me to change myself??!!

Thanks for any advice

If you unscrew "A" there's a rubber diaphragm in there. Note how it sits, it's easy to turn it inside out! Also note how part "C" sits in the grey item as you may need to out this back in place.

You can buy and replace these as mentioned above, though to be honest it was only ~£12 to buy a, much better, replacement!

Cheers,

Andy

Is B a valve that can simply be replaced? It appears to be split and the cistern is continually running.
Please help! Many thanks

Can u help me when I press the button to flush it just sinks in an x don't flush I have to remove the button lift lid off and lift lever as shown in pic to put grey clip back over do I can flush can I fix myself . And the fill us taking a bit longer too bought from b&q same as in pic

make sure inflow pipe is about 3 inches higher than outflow I could not make mine 3 inches higher because the inflow would stick out of the top of the tank but I made as high as possible and it corrected the problem

Four years later and people are still using toilets imagine that

Sorry but my posted solution did not work after all
I bought a new unit “Korky” -Brand for $7.87 at Walmart which worked perfectly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back