Slow flow on hot taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the kitchen taps replaced with a mixer tap and now the hot runs really slowly, but it has not effected the cold when run it on the same tap? I thought i could just about live with this rather slow hot flowing tap, but now 4 weeks later the basin tap in the bathroom has started going slow too. Do you think the two are connected in any way? I have made sure all the valves are fully open everywhere in case the kitchen fitter didn't fully open them and also checked the header tank is refilling fine. There are no other taps in the flat- no bath just a shower that works fine as it is power shower. Maybe the basin tap is worn out, as it is little more than a trickle coming out, but am baffled as the kitchen tap is brand new.
Many thanks
Diane

Sponsored Links
Possibly an air-lock if you have an open system.

Try pumping mains water up the hot pipe to clear it (Be careful with this ;) ) or sucking on the hot to pull the water through.

When you say an open system, what do you mean exactly? There is no gas cetral heating, just storage heaters in the flat. There is a black tank with a ball cock that then feeds the hot water cylinder. The cylinder is brand new but are there any possible problems that could be associated with that?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have an open system ;)

You can get open hot water systems where there is a tank in the loft feeding the cylinder and you can get sealed or "unvented" hot water systems that are piped directly into the mains. You have an open system.

If you have two seperate taps on a sink/bath somewhere where the cold is mains fed; connect the two together with a bit of hose; open up the hot tap that's struggling (The mixer in your case); then open the hot tap connected to the hose; and then slowly open the mains tap where the taps are joined with the hose; this will force water back into the pipework; causing the pipes to fill and expell the air-lock out. When the water starts to flow from the mixer tap; close off the mains tap and shut down the other taps.

It sounds quite complex; but that's just my writing; takes 10 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back