Slow heating immersion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a immersion tank with a header tank, the element goes in through the side at the bottom.
When it comes on it takes twice as long to heat up. I have checked the voltage and it has 240v going in.
Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
Twice as long to heat up compared to what? Yesterday? Your old immersion? Your kettle? You need give more information if we are to be able to offer any useful advice.

Is the tank well insulated? Is it a duel element heater? Have you tried using the other element - perhaps it has been wired wrongly, or one element isn't working etc.

Twice as long as what? :confused:

What are the dimensions of the cylinder

What insulation does it have

edited: bah

I checked the temperature first thing this morming after the timer switched off, and it was just warm (warmer than last night when I went to bed).
I flicked the overide switch on this morning and left it 4 hrs, and it was still getting warmer, but very slow.
The element has two connecters coming from it with the thermostat wired in series with the element. (Not sure whether it is a duel element)
The tank has a thick insulated jacket on it.
The cyclinder is roughly 2ft high and 18 inches dia.
I have not changed the element.
Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
is there any sign of a dripping hot tap, or hot water leak?

does the switch and cable seem slightly warm?

can you have a look a the electricity meter? you should be able to detect a change in speed of usage when you turn the immersion on or off.

have you got a gas boiler, and is the pump running?

When did it last seem to be working properly?

do you know how old the element (and especially the thermostat) is?

There are no dripping taps.
The cable does not seem warm.
I have checked the meter and it does speed up a bit when it is switched on.
I have not got a gas boiler.
It was working ok 2 days ago.
The element is roughly three years old. The old element was ok for about twenty years before I had to have it replaced.
I have just had a look at the tank and it is just singing.

There could be an external adjustment.
If you are competent you could remove the element cover & turn the t/stat up ...
REMEMBER THERE ARE LIVE ELECTRICS

you can turn off the power, remove the cap, you will see the thermostat has a small adjustable screw, you may be able to see temperature markings round it. You should hear it click if you turn it up or down past the current temperature of the water, and if you have a multimeter you will be able to see it opens or close the circuit.

However it is quite cheap to buy and fit a new thermostat.

Take the old one out so you can buy the same length. the thermostat can be removed without draining down, it is dry as it sits in a watertight pocket.

Draw a diagram of all the connections before you take the old one out.

The thermostat has not been adjusted before this, so I would not have thought it has been moved from it's previous position

I took the thermostat out and I could hear the click when the control was turned, I put a meter across the terminals and the thermo opens and closes when I turn the nob according to the meter.
Does that mean the element has gone, I can not see how a element could partially work, either it has gone or has not

Has this happened suddenly or gradually.Do you live in a hard water area.The element could be furred up with limescale, thus providing a jacket around it preventing it heating the water up as quickly as it used to.
You need to check the resistance of the element as well.With the electric off at the double pole switch (hopefully fitted), use a multimeter across the element neutral post and the incoming side of the thermostat.When the thermostat is made you should get a reading of around 19 - 20 ohms for a 3kw element.
If in doubt about your competance do as below.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back