Slow internet

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wireless router connected to NTL service provider. Of late things are very slow. I am a noob when its comes to all things computer.

Is there any way of checking the speed of upload and download befor I contact NTL? And what would be the expected rate of transfer each way.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Try Speedtest UK and point at the blue stars near to where you are, and click on one of the destinations.
Aberdeen would probably be a good destination for you.

As for what it should read is anyone's guess as we do not know what your Internet Service Provider (ISP) has said it should be supplying. But it may be worth taking a few readings during different times of the day.

Might be worth clearing out your temp internet files too.
Use a recommended FREE cleaner to do it, such as Ccleaner. Instructions and free download are included in the link.

Do a speed test first and note the readings, then run Ccleaner and do another speed test to see if there is much improvement.

dave

Thanks for the reply Dave.

Ran the test

Download test is sitting at 1.14 megabits. It is as if the test has frozen.

I should be on around 10Meg (subject to confirmation)

My son ran a test over Christmas. Programme he ran showed a graph which indicated very low speed with spike every so often.

10 Megabits per second would be maximum download speed available. They probably didn't give minimum speed when you signed the contract.

Make sure you have no items in the link that they did not provide. For example if they did not supply the router then they will blame that for the slow speed.

Best of luck

Sponsored Links
NTL is part of the Virgin Media group. You can try their community forums
http://community.virginmedia.com/
Or if you prefer, call one of their great Inglish speaking people in India, who won't be able to help you at all (probably)
Last time I called them I eventually asked the chap on the other end if I could speak to his supervisor. He didn't understand the word superwisor. ;) ;) ;)

I know it's a cop out solution, but try powering the router down, and then rebooting it.

whats the download speed when you connect the computer directly to the router with an ethernet cable? Your wireless system may be the problem.

If it's a wireless router check it's secured, what make is it? Jump into admin, make sure you have WPA enabled to WEP at worse (WEP is easy to hack) WPA is also hackable but take a lil longer. Check in the dhcp or wireless lan status area your pc is the only connected device!
Someone could be piggy backed onto your connection and using it as their torrent feed, that would give you severly reduced response and transfer times.

Check in Task Manager ensure your machine is idling CPU should be <5% . Run the usual spyware/virus analyzers.

Sponsored Links
Back