Wifi slow but not via ethernet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just got a new Dell Inspiron Laptop and can connect perfectly well to the internet wia a cable connection to the router, but when connected via wifi the the internet pages do not download even though I appear to have a full strength signal and good connection speed @ 54Mbps. What could the problem be?

Sponsored Links
Encryption key mismatch sounds plausible......Wifi will connect if the SSID (Network name) matches between PC and router, traffic wont be able to be decrypted by Pc or router if key doesn't match.

Re-type key in both router and PC.

What security are you using WEP, WPA or WPA ?

BTW the above relates to no Internet pages can be viewed at all rather than slow performance.

Which do you have as your subject and detail aren't clear.

BTW the above relates to no Internet pages can be viewed at all rather than slow performance.

Which do you have as your subject and detail aren't clear.

I am using WPA2-PSK and windows 7, at first I could not get the wifi to work at all, then I changed the router setting from WPA-PSK to WPA2-PSK and enabled WPA Mixer Mode on the router as I also connect to the router with another laptop using XP. Once These settings had been changed I could get the Windows 7 laptop to connect to the router but it will not dowload web pages via the wifi.

Sponsored Links
You say connected but has the router issued you with an IP address?
Open network and sharing centre (access via right click on network icon bottom right) and view the status.
Any errors reported there? If not, check details to see the IP information given.

Try with wpa turned off to begin with- if no improvement try a different channel number- there might be congestion, ie too many others using the same channel

Back