Hi-fi What Spot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the wine cellar, under the pool in the north wing of the palace, the wifi signal isn't so good but the phone doesn't have a problem.
So I can use the phone as a hotspot to connect to the house signal. Just wifi, no bluetooth.
So that's laptop==>wifi==> phone ==>wifi==> house router.

I can't get it to work if I use the phone's data signal instead, though I'm sure I have in the past.
Any suggestion how I can make that work? Bluetooth links phone to laptop ok, but no internet.
Samsung S20, two Win10 laptops, Phone data is 4G but OK.
Some phone setting??? Phone says I can use up to 10 devices , on the hotspot page.
Protected management frames is off.
Wifi sharing is on.
Not in Power saving mode.

Sometimes Virgin drops out, but phone data signal stays up.

Sponsored Links
laptop==>wifi==> phone ==>wifi==> house router
Phones don't typically work as wifi repeaters; the wifi chipset is being used as a "server" of wifi to your laptop, and isn't simultaneously used as a "client" of the house wifi. Have you got some source of reference that the phone can be used as a repeater?

I recommend you either install a wired wifi access point in the problem area (ubiquiti are good for it), move the router, or use a usb wifi dongle on the end of a usb extension lead so you can position it wherever you position your phone to get good wifi service

I wrote that laptop==>wifi==> phone ==>wifi==> house router works. I assume that's what you're calling "repeating".
Repeating wifi evidently isn't a problem.
But it doeasn't help if Virgin cable drops out, as mentioned.

I want laptop==>wifi or Bluetooth==> phone ==> internet on 4G.

Sponsored Links
We have a powerline adapter down in the office, it works seamlessly.
Nasty things, should be banned, however must admit they do work, the problem is the wiring in the house was not designed to work with high frequency, this is why the electronic transformers used for 12 volt down lights have a limit for cable length, fitting surge protection units can also stop the signal, and it can stop other things using RF from working, hearing aids etc.

Most are not technically permitted, and if some one complains, Ofcom can act. It does seem strange there is no law against selling the things, only against using them. But always been the same in this country, you can buy an amateur radio transmitter, but to use it you need a licence.

In Hong Kong I needed to show my licence to buy a radio transmitter when it was British, but not in the UK.

I want laptop==>wifi or Bluetooth==> phone ==> internet on 4G.
Then have it. Set your phone to share its 4G over wifi, then place it somewhere it gets a good 4G signal and is within wifi range of the laptop and use it

Then have it. Set your phone to share its 4G over wifi, then place it somewhere it gets a good 4G signal and is within wifi range of the laptop and use it

Yes,, I know, I've done it before as I said but it's not working now. That's what I'm trying to get working

Vodafone say the phone should work as a wifi hotspot.

Hotspot enabled, wifi disabled on the phone but its internet access is fine.

Laptop and phone are paired, but can't connect.

Hotspot enabled, wifi disabled on the phone but its internet access is fine
If the phone can access the Internet, and the laptop's wifi is definitely connected to the phone hotspot (does the phone show 1 client?) then it's likely the problem is the network configuration on one end or the other. Assuming the phone is in control of its end, and is running a DHCP server with sensible settings (configured by the manufacturer) I would suspect the laptop's settings first.

As an initial trial can you take some other device that doesn't have its own internet, like an iPad, and connect it to your phone hotspot; does it go on the internet? That implies the setup is fine, and your laptop is originating some problem. On the laptop, click start, type CMD, run a command prompt, into the black window type IPCONFIG /ALL and press return. Post the output

If the phone can access the Internet, and the laptop's wifi is definitely connected to the phone hotspot (does the phone show 1 client?) then it's likely the problem is the network configuration on one end or the other. Assuming the phone is in control of its end, and is running a DHCP server with sensible settings (configured by the manufacturer) I would suspect the laptop's settings first.

As an initial trial can you take some other device that doesn't have its own internet, like an iPad, and connect it to your phone hotspot; does it go on the internet? That implies the setup is fine, and your laptop is originating some problem. On the laptop, click start, type CMD, run a command prompt, into the black window type IPCONFIG /ALL and press return. Post the output
Ta, ....

Sponsored Links
Back