Slow leak on plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some major building work and a small section of the plumbing was done in plastic pipes.

On a downstairs ceiling a wet patch appeared so when I investigated there is a section of piping where two copper pipes are joined by a plastic T-joint. Off that comes some plastic piping. The T joint to the plastic pipe has a very slow leak on it.

Researching plastic piping, it seems it has a bit of a reputation. So why do people use it?!

I could replace just the T-joint with another plastic one, but what's to say it won't develop another slow leak in the future?

Would I be better replacing the plastic sections with copper? It would only need a few floorboards lifting.

Sponsored Links
try pushing the joint all the way (common fault)
or tell the tw*t that put it in to get a decent pipe cutter :LOL:
if its not that difficult replace the joint

Sponsored Links
Tried the first one, so I think I will replace it with copper. Thank you.

As for the 'tw*t', it was a builder who got bored and started doing things shoddily. The list is almost endless.

Here are a few:

Tiling started on a corner, not from a middle focal point.
Kickerboard split at the end due to no countersinking. And 3 different screws.
Kickerboard put on at an angle.
Several pipes in front of (partition) walls when we asked for them behind.
Sink tap plumbed in the wrong way round.
Another sink taps plumbed hot on the right hand side.
Skirting tiling done so can't fit sockets on.
They took it upon themselves to cut excess cable the electrician put there in case anything needed moving in the near future.
Outside drain not square to the wall.
Fag burns on new patio door.
Kitchen waste pipes not pushed in properly so leaked all over floor. They didn't even fit together.
Kitchen waste pipe not put below outside grate.
Downpipe guttering missed the drain.

I am slowly, what with working all and weird hours, getting through them.

Anyway, so replacing them with copper it is then.

thats assuming you didnt let him loose on the electrics :LOL:
sorry m8 i use copper dont like plastic :) just a personal thing
i suppose it has its uses

You could replace the push-fit T with a compression fitting. Use Conex(Wickes) cos they're the best and cheap there. Some manufacturers suggest putting ptfe over the olive which seems like a good idea, as there won't be the tightness you'd have on copper.

Any idea what make the pushfit was? If not, What colour is /was it?

Nothing wrong with plastic if it's fitted correctly, hence the waste pipe joints not pushed together properly, I am the the first person to slag off manufacturers when needed, but please dont blame them when you employed a cowboy builder to do the plumbing.

The make was Osma - some of it just didn't seem quite right. I ended up going to Homebase!

I did the electrics.

I got rid of the builders. I would come home and find they had done a whole bunch of things I asked them not to do, and not done the things I asked them to. I just didn't have the time to stand over them.

They got bored. First 14 weeks - fine. Last 4 weeks - started being rubbish. They even admitted they were getting bored. Hell - who doesn't get bored of their job from time-to-time? Peter Stringfellow?

If you want to use copper and solder then leave the pipes to drain overnight so you can get the area dry. Clean with wire wool, use solder ring (yorkshire ) fittings. Don't forget to use flux.

Sorry I missed that it was push-fit WASTE pipe. Though you could use copper pipe and fittings for waste that wasn't what I meant!

Thanks for all the replies.

So the copper/plastic debate goes on.

I took it apart again to have a good look. The end hadn't been cut square. I cut the end square. I put it back together.

No leak.

As I said, nothing wrong with plastic if fitted correctly, copper joints leak just the same if a d*ckhead doesn't solder it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back