Small black plug that says 'Don't Remove!'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was having problems with the ground floor sockets tripping yesterday. I eventually traced the fault to a socket right at the back of the understairs where the above (transformer ?)was plugged in. It appears to be connected into some form of Earthing and I'm therefore sure it's exceedingly important that it remains active. Until I can get either the emergency cover or a local spark to look at it I've run an extension lead from another seperate circuit to allow me to plug it in/verify it still wrks and is not the root cause. Any thoughts, comments or advice about this set-up please ?

Regards...Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I did look to see if any photos loaded but all changed now so can't see. It really has me intrigued as to what it is. Likely going to Vale of Clwyd tomorrow too, but most of us use the County name for me Flintshire and Vale of Clwyd is in Denbighshire. Can't see a little box stopping raising damp there, it comes half way up the doors on all the houses built on the flood plain.

One of those useless rising damp control systems?
I was thinking that, although I think there is something in these. They fit them to churches and bridges commercially. It has nothing to do with heat, which some people think.

Must say, houses with these don't seem to suffer damp. People often remove them as they're ugly blue boxes in the way of a new consumer unit or similar, saying "the house isn't damp, it's pointless". The house isn't damp as it's probably working.

http://www.lectros.com/lectros_misc.asp?ID=SYS

Vale of Clwyd
_66987301_vlcsnap-2012-11-29-19h21m08s158.png
do you really think the little electrode will stop the damp?

It was the mess up of the century I think. There was a road with a culvert, the council planner thought there was always a chance that the culvert would get blocked so as a condition of the planning application for the houses the hight of the ground floor was stipulated so if the culvert blocked water would flow over the road before it went into the houses. However the builder in some cases built the house one meter too low, and the local authority building inspector failed to pick up on the error. Result the houses did flood, and then the insurance realised the error, I am not sure what was the result, and who had to put the bill, the council did alter the culverts to try and stop a repeat, but there is woodland up stream so having whole trees coming down in a flood is always possible.

This was Ruthin but there was also a repeat in St Asaph also in the vale of Clwyd. Denbighshire and Flintshire combined to form the county of Clwyd, but were then split up to become Wrexham, Flintshire and Denbighshire, but the latter has hardly any industry so is always short of money, and the vale of Clwyd is in Denbighshire.

So just a week ago a bus company went bust, within days, Flintshire had found alternative carriers, within the week Wrexham had it sorted, for Denbighshire they are looking end of August before all routes are covered. This is regular Denbighshire is the poor relation. There were moves to re-combine, but as expected Flintshire and Wrexham did not want that. Oh Wrexham is both the county name and town name, they say so good they named it twice!

I think it is very possible that houses in the Vale of Clwyd have systems to help them dry out again. Many of the old houses are built in stone, and have no cavity, originally with earth floors.

I'd best remember to allow a whole roll of G/Y tape the next time I do a TT in that case! Not to mention all the time I've been wasting bashing the entire length into the ground.

Sorry All, It's a really cramped space and I have to be carefull with my back at the moment. Please see pictures below...my Addy only says Clwyd 'cos that's the only option it offered me! From Wrecsam originally but now in the wilds of Fflint. Thanks to all for the replies...even the one s about elephants ???
IMG_2326.JPG
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2337.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back