Small chest freezer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small chest freezer. I want to locate it in small cloakroom. The only power supply nearby is from the lighting (1mm cable?) circuit. The chest freezer is rated as 150w and 10A (apparently). Can I cheat and run this safely off the lighting circuit? It will be located at the end of the circuit. I intend to connect it to a separately fused socket supply. Any ideas? Thanks...

Sponsored Links
I'm not an electrician so am more than willing to learn some new facts, but my O-level physics taught me that VOLTS X AMPS = WATTS. So 10A and 150W would indicate 15 volts, in which case plugging into the mains would not be a good idea regardless of regulations.

I have a small chest freezer. I want to locate it in small cloakroom. The only power supply nearby is from the lighting (1mm cable?) circuit. The chest freezer is rated as 150w and 10A (apparently). Can I cheat and run this safely off the lighting circuit? It will be located at the end of the circuit. I intend to connect it to a separately fused socket supply. Any ideas? Thanks...
NO! You must not run this from a lighting circuit.

Yes, the compressor is only 150 watts, BUT it draws a hell of a lot more than this on startup (this is the 10A figure). Your lighting circuit is likely on a 5 or 6 amp circuit. It will trip every time the compressor tries to start.

Stephen, I challenge you to find me a 15 volt chest freezer. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
My intended point was not to say that it was a 15V freezer but that the OP's original figures seemed inconsistent. If it was known to be a mains freezer then it probably wasn't 150W and 10A at the same time! Steve's explanation would explain this.

I think people are saying that 10 amps is the starting current of the compressor, 150 watts being the running current after the initial surge to start.

Stuart

small chest freezer.

0162253455085.jpg

red lingerie would be more appropriate ban, given the time of year ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back