small crack in base of cold water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone advise on a small crack in the base of my plastic cold water tank. Is it possible to repair it. It must be resting on something quite small as you could cover it with a 10 pence piece. It is leaking about a mug of water per day.
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
not a good idea :cry: in fact I`d say get a new one - on your house insurance :idea:

Ditto!! seriously just replace it, if you mess with it is your insurance going to cover you once they find out you have tried to fix it?

Thanks Fellas,
I'm in the game and would recommend the same to my customers but I won,t have a day off for at least two weeks trying to finish a job on time. Need a quick fix to tide me over. What do you make of a piece of plastic epoxy resined over the top.
Just as a side, I didn't think insurance covered the repair/source of the leak?
Best
Mark

Sponsored Links
I know I'm not a damsel in distress but would still appreciate some assistance from the brotherhood
Regards
Mark

pass but it might work
1 drain it
2 get peice plastic flat possibly from square gutter fixing
3 try using solvent weld for pipes to glue it in place put something heavy on it
4 refill when come back from work

tell us if it works

Very temporary, but quick, and no need to drain the tank - How about a doughnut washer, something flat and something heavy.

Place the doughnut washer to surround the crack, something flat to cover the top of the washer, maybe borrow a teaplate or saucer from the kitchen and weigh it down with a brick to stop it moving.

Once some of the water trapped inside the washer has leaked out, the water pressure at the bottom of the tank should help hold everything in place.

FFS it would take 1-1/2 hours MAX to change the tank after work tonight if it were my house thats what I would do!! (I came home a few years ago to a leaking HW Cylinder that was 4-30PM by 8-00PM I had obtained, and installed a new cylinder) surely you would do whatever to protect your property, if you bodge up your tank and then it ruptures bringing down ceilings and destroying your furnishings and the insurance co finds out about your "repair" do you think they will pay up for the damage --- I THINK NOT :rolleyes:

Problem solved. Drained down the tank as I couldn't risk a flood as Boilerman rightly pointed out.
Presumed crack was a mark from all the crap in there. Cleaned the tank and went to refill still flummoxed to the source of the leak. Water spewing out of the top of the inlet valve.
Must have been breaching the lid, running down the back of the tank and dripping off the middle of the base. 5 min job to change valve.
Thanks again!!

Cant understand why if youre "in the game" take it you mean plumbing/ heating, you would ask the question in first place, if a plastic tank is leaking, what does it take to replace? Not much that 4 sure, infact easier than the other bodges suggested, and will actually work :rolleyes:

pass but it might work
1 drain it
2 get peice plastic flat possibly from square gutter fixing
3 try using solvent weld for pipes to glue it in place put something heavy on it
4 refill when come back from work

tell us if it works

Cold water tanks are Polypropylene.
Solvent cement will not work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back