Small door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to replace my back door, have measured it up and with width wise it shouldn't be a problem at 760mm but hight wise it is only 1890mm.

Now most standard doors i have found are 1981mm will i be able to remove the required 91mm or can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of shorter doors

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Depends on the sort of door you want.
As a rule there aren't many doors that allow you to take 91mm off the height. Best option would be to have a door made but if this isn't an option owing to cost or whatever there are options.
It is possible , and I've done it myself, to move the top rail down. It's easier if the top rail is tenoned simply turn the mortise joints into bridle joints to move the rail down, glue and dowel.
If the door joint is dowelled construction then similiar process, move the rail down clamp and drill new dowels in from the outside.
As said it all depends on the type of door.

Thanks for your advise, am still hunting hoping i can find an off the shelf door that is closer to the size, (any ideas).

If i do have to go down the custom route, does anyone have an idea of what this is likely to cost?

Sponsored Links
You will not find an off the shelf door to suit. Door sizes are standard but your opening is not. http://www.door-warehouse.co.uk/size_convert.htm The best you could hope for is after speaking to a manufacturer that they say you can lop 90mm off the height. Otherwise custom jobby. Your only hope would be a reclamation yard to find a second hand jobby but that could take a month of Sundays to find one just the right size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back