Small double Glazed Window - Two Cracked Panes - (Pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. First, thanks for reading. I have a 'cottage style' double glazed window, divided into six panes. Each indivdual pane measures 24 x 20 cm.Two of them are cracked, but I don't know if they are separate panes or in fact two or even one large pane with the wooden strips dividing them.

I'd like some advice as to how to fix these. I'm a bit wary of bashing out double glazed panels, or can I bash them out and have made replacement panels? I don't really want to order new windows with frames if I can help it.

Advice welcome, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Its clear to me that its one complete pane as why would the crack affect 2 small panes, think about it - if they were all individual units the crack would only affect the one square and not creep onto the next. What you have is one double glazed unit with individual spacer bars within the cavity to give the impression of individual panes, quite common and an expensive effect

Forgot to add, yes you can remove yourself but being above the conservatory roof will be very tricky, if possible try and remove the opener completely. Once done take the complete sash to a sealed unit manufacturer and let him copy what you have, he may even fit it for you but you probably will have a bit of making good to do filling holes and repainting areas

You do not need a new window though, just the glass

Crank 39, thank you for your helpful reply. Of course, I had considered it being one pane due to the crack propagation, but I wanted a second opinion before I proceeded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back