Small en suite rad issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a rad thats causing me problems...

1 small ensuite rad gets warm no problem however when i went to open the bleed valve no water or air is released ive taken the rad of jet washed it and put it back on and its still the same

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Sound like the water level in the system is low, either top up the pressure vessel or check the tank in the loft, is it the highest point on the radiator system?

" gets warm no problem" ... Does that mean it doesn't get HOT ??
Is the air bleed valve blocked ?

Sponsored Links
If it gets hot at the top ,it must be full of water. If nowt comes out when opening bleed valve , the fault is likely the bleed valve .

Ive taken bleed valve completely out and it still doesn't pop water out pal?

Is it a panel radiator , or towel rad ?
Have you removed the shaft or the entire bleed valve ?
Can you show pics ?

Hi Terry its a single panel rad about 15 years old one of the older ones i have left in ...took the bleed screw out got a really tiny trickle hopefully can see on pic

Attachments

• 20200417_143301.jpg
    20200417_143301.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 220
Front

Attachments

• 20200417_143230.jpg
    20200417_143230.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 211
It's blocked. The shaft bit what you have removed ,closes against a tiny hole in the valve body.
The hexagonal shaped nut is used to remove the valve body. DO NOT remove the valve body unless you isolate the radiator first.

Ok Terry i took it off and flushed it through took otherside off but never removed the whole of the bleed valve side suppose if im taking it iff may as well order a new rad from Screwfix think its only 23 quidish save alm messing around...

What ,fit a new rad Neil ?
You can if you want ,but unscrewing the bleed valve and cleaning it with a pin will be a lot easier / quicker and cheaper.
The rad itself don't look in bad condition , and it heats ok.

True mate will try what youve said 1st mate hopefully be all good cheers for your help appreciated

Let's know how you get on, by the way a new bleed valve complete is only around 4 quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back