Small Entrance Lobby - Pitched roof leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20170605_132719.jpg
IMG_20170605_111634.jpg
IMG_20170605_112157.jpg
Dear members,

We have a small pitched roof to provide access to downstairs flat converted in an Edwardian building, which we moved into few months back. I've attached some photos for easy reference of the problem. Bit of description in order marked in pictures

Leak area 1. Both roofers said, there is like a missing line of tiles which should have really been there Some repair with mortar seem evident which indicates attempt to rectify the problem previously.

Leak area 2. Roofer B lifted the tiles just above the gutter run under which the leak near window comes in and I could clearly see 2 big holes /sagged felt. Says it happened because the main leak at point 1 above is root cause of problem, which lets the water under the tiles go in which then dribbles over the felt to the lower section and leaks in the holes/sagged section of felt near the leaky window. Some damage to the timber battons near window and fascia board was also evident as you can see. Roofer A only suspected that to be the case though said chances are high that's happening, so will see when he does the work for problem around window and replace path of felt if that's what it is.

Roofer A asked £250 for fixing root cause area (1) of missing / mortared tiles and broken run of gutter and fixing the patch of felt which can be seen damaged near the window. whist roofer B said £400. Fascia board can do with some wood preserver and repainting after fixing the main issue they said.

For more through job of stripping up whole roof and replacing al the felt between 2 ridges and possibly replace worn out battons etc (I assume), roofer A said £1400 and B said £1000.

I'm in Sutton, Greater London. Are the prices reasonable? Is there anything I can do as DIY to try and fix the root cause number 1 myself before I go pro route?

Please let me know if you need more pictures. I can't understand how water sinks in via that section but that's where we can see some attempt of repair etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
From what I can see you have plain tiles on that porch which
need at least a 30° pitch. I suggest if you are going to spend
any money then use a tile more suited to the pitch you have.

It needs to come off. As you can see its been an issue for some time. Judging by the brickwork staining and soffit/fascia staining.. Though that might be gutter over spill
It also looks like a gutter leak from above maybe running down the wall? or an over flow?
The hole in the felt is probably because its rotted from all the water on it for years..
Some people are such slobs! chucking their cotton buds out on to the roof for others to deal with..

From what I can see you have plain tiles on that porch which
need at least a 30° pitch. I suggest if you are going to spend
any money then use a tile more suited to the pitch you have.

With the looks of it, there is good 30 degrees fall I think. What made you think there is not? Probably angle of the picture?

Sponsored Links
IMG_20170605_132707.jpg
It needs to come off. As you can see its been an issue for some time. Judging by the brickwork staining and soffit/fascia staining.. Though that might be gutter over spill
It also looks like a gutter leak from above maybe running down the wall? or an over flow?
The hole in the felt is probably because its rotted from all the water on it for years..
Some people are such slobs! chucking their cotton buds out on to the roof for others to deal with..

Umm..there is a stopper end on the gutter above but it seems to be right above where the potential problem is. What can I do to check if that could be the cause. To be honest I now understand that how would water be coming from top of the window but don't understand how it goes in where roofers said it seem to. Though there is some repair done to it in past with mortar on that section, but doesn't clear show sign how water would ingress from there.

Well ill go along with its not 30 degrees pitch, minmum really is infact 35..
That aside, There appears to be various pipes and wires hanging out of the wall are these seal to the wall?
I still say it needs stripping and doing properly..

How much would be a decent cost for a job like this if this needs to be stripped away and redone? Another roofer came today and mentioned about pitch angle being really less. Said best and cost effective way would be to take of these tiles, timber should be in acceptable state. Then board and felt it. He said there are specific type of tiles if we want for low pitch roof like this but it may mean it becomes expensive to do. I'm in South london / surrey borders

There is (max) 20 degrees pitch on that roof. As others have said it is way under pitched for plains (35 degrees). Needs re-felt and tile by someone who knows what they are doing.

That roofer quoted £2500 for this work which I clearly can't afford to spend on this job. Not sure what is my way forward.

I would suggest removing the whole roof and recovering with a breather membrane and then covering with Cement fibre slates, They can be laid down to a 15 degree pitch.
I would guess the cost would be around £750-£850.

If you want I could come and look and give you a proper quote.

I would suggest removing the whole roof and recovering with a breather membrane and then covering with Cement fibre slates, They can be laid down to a 15 degree pitch.
I would guess the cost would be around £750-£850.

If you want I could come and look and give you a proper quote.

Thanks. How is life span of these tiles. Would stripping this roof and redoing need council permission? Also under what name do you carry out business please? Can you PM me that. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back