Small exterior metal junction box?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Please tell us
What's it For?
That will help us to give a better suggestion. Waterproof metal boxes are available.

Lots of this sort of thing in use
CO20BX4G.JPG

It’s making them water tight that makes plastic boxes like Wiska more popular.

What's it For?

It's to terminate SWA, and take it through a wall, so it'd just have some wago connectors in there. 75mm x 75mm would do although I could go a little larger if that's all there was.
The smallest metal box I can see is this one:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CMSB202015.html
Which seems completely over the top for this. But it's actually the smallest metal IP65 enclosure I could find anywhere.

It just seems strange there's nothing smaller.

Metal conduit box with rear entry, conduit through the wall, take the SWA cores through it and make any connections inside, won't need to be IP65 then.

One of these I
With metal cover and rubber seal gasket. As Flameport says, better to take the cable centre core through the wall rather than join in the box itself.

It looks like there's an earth wire connected in the box, so would that be plastic conduit through the wall, or no conduit, or is it steel but you like to feed an earth wire to be on the safe side?

It is because the box - and therefore - the steel armour must be earthed. The earth cable is going through the wall and connecting to earth at the supply inside.
Conduit through the wall is always a good thing to protect. Plastic is easier. Steel better, but you might need to thread the end!

It is because the box - and therefore - the steel armour must be earthed. The earth cable is going through the wall and connecting to earth at the supply inside.
Conduit through the wall is always a good thing to protect. Plastic is easier. Steel better, but you might need to thread the end!

You haven't answered my question about which type of conduit :).
As for threading on steel, I have the tech. (clamp and tap) but I'm not sure I still have the muscle to actually use it, it's been a while :(.
But with steel conduit threaded it's going to be bomb-proof, so I like that idea :D

An alternative to conduit is to make a section from 20mm galv sockets and 20mm Nipples, using plastic you would screw in an adapter, either way run an Earth through and lug inside the Besa box, theres a 4mm Threaded hole in the back, this then earths the Swa armour at the supply end
shopping
shopping
shopping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back