Small fireplace conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought an old farmhouse. The previous owner mentioned that a range cooker was removed from the old kitchen in the 50's, when the estate sold it to her family.

We guessed that and old fireplace was behind all the plaster, and thought it would be about 3' by 4' in width and height.

Take a look: http://gmei.imgur.com/lle_tn#mI8rQ

It's more like 6' by 5'11".

Although I'm chuffed to bits to have found it - what the bloody hell am I going to do with it!

There's a gap between the brick and the slate lintel, so I assume/hope that I can remove them with no structural problems (although I will check with a pro first).

But what then? Will I need to apply some treatment to the stone? We thought about putting in a log burner, but it may look rather small now. We want to clad the external walls in thick insulating boards, but I don't want to lose this fireplace.

Has anyone any experience in this kind of work? I'd love to hear your stories/advice.

Cheers,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve ,I am doing a Georgian fireplace and a Tudor inglenook in my cottage , both of which were blocked up through the ages.

What condition are the pillars in?
Keep an acro to hand. You need to ascertain that the pillars are supporting the lintel.

They're in good shape. I had an architect take a look at them yesterday, and he told me they were fine.

The brick wall lining the fireplace wasn't really supporting anything, so I've started to remove them.

You may be able to make out the lintel's padstones in the image below

http://i.imgur.com/7dk3d.jpg

There are two courses of brick. The right one holds back what I assume to be the flue lining from when the gas fire and boiler where there. On the left, this older set of brick hold back tonnes of dirt and rubble which go right up the chimney.

I've attempted to remove some of it, but it will take a while to get all of it out. I'm undecided as to work on this for the weekend or start on my shed.

I'd be interested to hear of your experiences with your two fireplaces.

Cheers,

steve

Steve I shall post up some pics and chat more when i get time later, one thing though , look out for asbestos, especially the liner.

Sponsored Links
look out for asbestos

OMG! Didn't think about that. Would it be in the form of solid sheets? What should I look out for?

Looking forward to your pics.

steve

Hi Steve , still no pics , sorry , I will get some up soon , been very busy of late.

It might be in sheet form as a register plate or it could be a pipe flue liner, it could be in the form of fire bricks etc etc.

Have a google on asbestos in old fireplaces.

I have found this site/forum brilliant for advice on old property's.

http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Could pressure wash, soda-blast, bead blast, or use a brick-cleaner dependent on the type of stone.

Soda and bead blasting are kinder to the stone, and will only remove the crud. You need to watch out for the mortar of course, but if you're planning on repointing, it's more of a case of don't point the gun at it for too long.

Thanks for that. I'll look into those options.

I'm not an expert, but seeing as it was built in 1880, I assume it's local granite (north Wales). The pointing is lime and is very poor in places.

In the meantime, here it is with all of it cleared. http://gmei.imgur.com/lle_tn#sCsmf

Steve , sorry fella , I completely forgot about this thread , looks really good there what you have done.
Usually if it is just soot a strong brush and hot soapy water will suffice. Remember it is a fire place and it will have scorch marks.
The lime pointing can be repaired but to be fair its a very old fireplace , making it look 'new' may detract from its character and beauty.
Are those Victorian quarry tiles on the floor?

No problem. I'm not worried about how it looks, it's just that the pointing flakes away when I touch it - it's more of a structural worry! :)

Are those Victorian quarry tiles on the floor?

I believe they are, and quite nice too - I just hope I haven't ruined them with all the work! And the hearth is a collection of large slate slabs, which also look nice. Is there an easy way of getting concrete off slate? (any acids etc I could use?)

There's quite a lot of soot there, but not too much as it used to house a range cooker, so most of that went up the chimney.

steve

Very nice. You could try a product called ''cement away'', I've found it good for burning cement/lime off of old bricks.
Are you going to repoint in lime? Best way is to save all the old mortar and crush it down, mix with some coarse sand and some lime putty. Repoint it then when it is dry to the touch run over it with a stiff brush. This should ''age'' it and help it blend in with the old.
That looks like a very nice place you have there fella.
Here are some photos of the Georgian fire place I uncovered in my cottage , it dates to 1760. It had been covered in a cement render as had the whole wall but luckily the wall and fire place were very well preserved.
P120609_140301.jpg

P071109_1421.jpg

P071109_1538.jpg

P171109_1721.jpg

P181109_1751-1.jpg

P181109_114302.jpg

SAM_3653.jpg

On the other side of the cottage is a Tudor inglenook, it dates to around 1520 and needs substantial work to bring it back to life. One pillar has collapsed and has been rebuilt with common bricks to we have to get new bricks made to rebuild it, the lovely thing is it is offset from centre to the corner of the room.
I shall try and load up some pics if I get time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back