Fireplace boarding and hearth install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

We have just removed the mantle and surround from our fireplace and are left with a good sized recess.
I want to board the recess to be painted and fit a hearth that I can tile over. Best way to go about this as the base of the fireplace is currently higher than the floor as seen in the attached photos.
We will be putting in an electric plug in style heater (one of the ones that looks like a log burner) so shouldn't be any excessive heat.
I'm assuming I need to chisel out the bottom to level it? And then what would be best material for the bottom to put tiles on top of?
IMG_3906.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If you do as you suggest and chip out the hearth it wont involve anything structural and all can be levelled up. The socket can be extended but should be fixed against a timber frame designed to take the plasterboard or other covering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back