Small flat roof. Will condensation be a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've dropped the ceiling on a small part of the the kitchen. It's an extension 2.4 by 1.5 ms, the the whole kitchen is a lot bigger than that.

While it's down I'll insulate it properly - BallyTherm/Celotex or whatever. It's a flat roof above it. On BallyTherm's site it mentions a Vapor Control layer, presumably DPM just above the plasterboard and underneath the insulation would be ok?

They also mention venting the ceiling space. Does anybody actually do that? I'd need to put airbricks into our newly painted wall and one per joist. A right hassle.

They also mention fans. I've just taken ours out, though the 4" pipe through the wall is still there. I took the old one out cause it was so damn noisy.

Also we're moving from gas cooking to electric, and I'm reliably informed that the gas itself produces more vapour than the cooking.

Long question short, how many times has anybody been to a house where condensation in the space between a ceiling and deck of a flat room has caused problems?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back