Small front door awning(?) with lead roof causing damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Not sure if you'd call this an 'awning', (maybe an overhang?) as it's so small, but as you can see from the pics the lead covering it is cracked and actually causing some damp issues inside the house on the walls near the front door. The roofer I usually use suggested replacing the lead, but has since gone awol, I was wondering if there are any DIY fixes that I can do, especially given how much time I have on my hands now!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20200410_101645.jpg
IMG_20200410_101732.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just renew the lead, if you pull it off you will see how it was fitted, should be let into the wall and sealed ideally going up the wall slightly then into a slot cut in the brick. seal with Leadmate and apply a coat of patination oil to the fresh lead. Wickes sell all you need I think they are doing click and collect only now.
Lead is easy to work with and cuts easily with tin snips. Look on line for a few lead flashing videos.
Wear strong disposable gloves or wash hands thoroughly after working with lead.
Be ready for a shock when you pick up your roll of lead it's "king" heavier than it looks!

Sponsored Links
Or clean it up and give it a coat of acrypol...depends on your budget.

Or you could just paint it with acropol for the time being if your not comfortable with replacing the leadwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back