Small patch of rising damp beside door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Im trying to figure out what could be the cause and how to treat this small patch of what I believe is rising damp just beside my front door in my hallway.

Not the best picture but the door is just to right of the patch. We are living in the house 1 year to the month and we've never seen it before, it only appeared about a week ago so I sprayed it with mildew cleaner and cleaned it off to see if it would come back, I checked I think either yesterday or this morning with nothing on the wall and checked tonight and it reappeared again.

I can't figure out what could be the cause, my house is timber framed with a brick outer skin, some bricks outside along the level of where the damp is are going white I think with evoresence? Coming out of them, really only 1 brick is semi bad and few other spots here and there so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it?

Im not sure how to go about treating this or just keep an eye and keep cleaning it for now? Cant see any other patches or any other bits on rooms that run along the same wall as where the damp is or in rooms with the evoresence which is directly outside the rooms.

We did have a small leak a couple weeks ago some water got out of our bath after the waste pipe broke in our bath but that was 2 or 3 rooms away so could it be possible water has traveled along the concrete base? But I can't see how it did tbh. Also the skirting board seems to be OK?

Any suggestions welcome and I can take some pictures of in/outside of the house tomorrow if need be.

Thank you very much

k6jM7wX

3Ndd5Xw

https://ibb.co/k6jM7wX
https://ibb.co/3Ndd5Xw

Can't get my images to post

Sponsored Links
Looks like mould, lack of ventilation is usual cause.Not rising damp.

actual efflorescence suggests quite a lot of water. Especially if it shows indoors and out.

take some pics of the outside

some, standing well back to show the whole wall up to the roof above. e.g. if there is a leaking gutter or downpipe.

Look at the doorframe and porch. Any gaps arund it? Did the damp coincide with heavy rain?

is the floor wet?

What is in the room above? bathroom, shower?

A modern house is extremely unlikely to have "rising damp" if there is such a thing

but often has a leak from plumbing, gutters, drains

Hi sorry for the late response. I have another room I've found 2 seperate rising damp patches. Both corner into the bathroom from where the leak was.

I've cleaned the areas off with damp cleaner but I'm really nervous now incase it turns into a huge problem.

What's the best course of action to fix this? I can provide more details if needed but basically I've caught them early so it's still fairly fresh

Sponsored Links
So the damp beside the door hasn't come back since cleaning it so far but haven't had heavy rain but I thought this was the only place.

After finding the 3 other bits of damp today it's rooms bordering the bathroom or sharing a wall. Mainly in corners.

So water escaped the bath around 2 weeks ago and that's when the problems started really. Black mold seems to be going up the wall in patches, could these be related to the escape of water? I know no one on here can be sure but I'm keeping it cleaned with a mold spray and I'm going to borrow a friend's dehumidifier

Sorry I forgot to mention in my above post, so I've cleaned it off before adding to the thread so there's nothing to take a picture of at the moment best I can do is explain the way it was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back