Small Roof Leak - Temporary 1yr fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I noticed a small water mark in a newly painted ceiling 2 months ago (it isnt getting worse and isnt wet even during heavy rain) in the corner of one of my rooms directly next to the outside wall. Having looked in the loft I can see a small tear in the water proof lining above one of the sofits (which were incidentally replaced by what I now know were some cowboy builders) directly between two joists.

I imagine the damage was done during the sofit replacement, nothing can get to that location at any other time, so the leak has been a slow drip over the course of a year. The house is a 3 storey terrace and repairing this is clearly going to need scaffolding. I was planning to put scaffolding up anyhow for some other work I want to do next year (dont have the funds right now) and am therefore hoping to come up with some form of temporary fix, or even leave it over 1 more winter until fixing it.

I am just wondering if anyone has had similar issues that they have resolved temporarily?

Based on the cheap cost of a soffit - £15, I was thinking about putting a small plastic water container there, glued with water resistant silicon to the soffit and then, once they are set and glued together, drilling a 3mm hole through the sofit and plastic tub. The water container would act as a funnel and the hole as a very minor water run-off. That would save the plasterboard from any more water, and buy me an extra winter?

Clearly I should ideally fix it now, but money is a factor.

Thx for your ideas and thoughts.

Jon

Sponsored Links
With a load of silicone and repair flashing, you could potentially make a permanent repair to the split. But it all depends.

Otherwise your idea is sound

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back