Small round porthole window ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a small porthole type window into a door. I've considered the boat type stainles steel option but apart from costing an arm and a leg this wouldn't suit the rest of the decor. I was wondering if it is possible to buy a small round wooden porthole type window anywhere? perhaps I could by some curved mouldings and home brew a window myself?

Any ideas?

Steve

Sponsored Links
iirc ironmongery direct sell these type of kits,soz aint got a scooby on cost.

Black Country Metalworks also do kits (scroll down to "Solid Brass Door Porthole Kit") but they are hardly cheap - although they are a lot cheaper than some of the commercial stainless steel ones architects specify. Ideally you need a 1/2in router, a home-made trammel bar and a jigsaw to install them (trammel bar and router to get you part way through, jigsaw to remove centre waste, router with bearing guided straight bit to finish). What you don't want to try is taking out the waste with a jigsaw alone - in 44mm solid core doors (or even 35mm domestic doors - I'm assuming solid core because otherwise what would there be to hold the glass in place?) the blade is bound to wander and the margins you are playing with for the rebate of the porthole frame aren't that great.

I very much doubt that you'll be able to buy off the shelf small radius mouldings to make your own that way - I've done wood-trimmed vision panels on a couple of jobs and the ring turnings always had to be made to order (the last lot in ash were about £90 a set). You might be able to find a local turner willing to make you up a set, although I suppose with enough patience and a 1/2in plunge router + trammel bar you could always make your own by glueing-up 8 or 12 segments into a rough circle then routing the insides and outsides (plus of course the rebates), but it would take a lot of time and patience IMHO

Thanks for the advice.

I've decided to have a stab at home brewing using a router. I will let you know how I get on.

Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back