Building small standalone workshop, need help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello good folks of DiyNot.

This is a challenge for me, a radical shift away from my normal trade - I.T./interior design/interior engineering/computer graphics/illustration. But as it was for the most part office based "engineering" i don't really have a clue of what i'm doing... As to safety aspect of "dont know what i'm doing" - not to worry, i'm not reckless enough to go in without some good research (I.T. kicks in)...

I think i need a little input on my planning stage of my self build of small workshop/shed. Its easy to work on already built thing to prettify it, another thing is to actually build it from scratch :D (not my field)...

I am already set on concrete slab size of 4x6 meters, question is how to build the shed itself. Will be pouring it sonetime over the coming week.

Budget is a problem as well, i will be saving on as many things as possible, building in stages, so no prefab/posh options considered... No cutting corners, though...

Planned type is single low slope roof, highest internal point 2.4m, lowest 2.3m, runoff to the back, single space, no supports in the middle of the space.

1. Frame material. Timber or steel ? If timber what size ? I'm offered 38x89mm, but it feels a bit flimsy ? 2x4in is not much bigger. Vertical frame posts 1m apart to accommodate box profile external cladding (tin).

2. If metal, wouldn't 50x50mm hollow box profile steel be a bit of an overkill ? Welding or screw fastening ? (I don't have welding machine, nor experience welding, willing to learn though)

3. Roof support. Span between walls is near 4m, so i'm not sure how to go about this. If timber frame i could use some wider timber (contemplating 50x250mm x 4.8m, protruding at the front of the building)... Use steel ? Wouldn't steel buckle with time ? No central support, remember ? Its a workshop, i cant have posts in a middle of it...

4. Wall weight support. I will be installing secondhand PVC windows in front and one side wall. Those things are quite heavy. Would simple timber frame support them well enough ?

5. Sky lights. At the moment i'm planning to just slap whole roof worth of translucent box profile cladding, but in the future i'd like to put in proper roof windows and insulate. Again, support is the question.

ANY ideas, ANY input is welcome. Maybe someone on here has experience building something like this. I'd really appreciate help. Just talk to me...

To some of these questions i already have an answer, but i'd like to hear from external sources. Picking your brain so to speak.

Wish me luck...

Sponsored Links
a self build will be exactly what you want but at a cost
in general its around 40% cheaper to buy off the shelve for the size you want [any size not just yours]

further costs to add is buying tools you need and dont have
and a value to your time
and possibly a further loss due to working in incomplete surrounds
in other words ready made about 1 weeks disruption
make your own several months disruption over engineered fantastic satisfaction exactly what you want and around 40% more cost
my shed
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bigall2005/media/e1e47346.pbw.html

According to my projections i can squeeze this shed into ~1k pounds including concrete slab. And according to local shed companies i'd have to divorce some 2.5k+ to get what i'm looking for...without concrete foundation...in a very basic form... not really 40% less... :D

Buying tools anyway, trying to get back into woodworking as it is, so planned expense...

Time doing this is time i will spend learning - its a good thing.
Disruption not so much. I dont plan on protracting it for too long but will not slack off either. Have all day to myself anyway...

well good luck
not sure how you think it will be cheaper especially when you haven't finalized the materials you will be using
the timber alone for my shed was around £700-800 without the base the electrics the insulation the windows
i think my shed finished up at around £1250 fully finished before the change to 3 layer torch on felt and the wood burner

with your windows the weight is not an issue but the span above the window is
you must have strong enough timbers/steel to support the weight off the roof without deflecting and damaging the windows

incidently i made the windows and the door was free so only material costs

your roof span will need somthing like 6x2 timbers at around 400 or 600mm centers your wall timbers would be somthing like 4x2 at 600mm centeres

Sponsored Links
Concrete - check (150-200)
Windows/doors - check (free)
Boiler Stove - check (free)
Framing offcuts - check (free)
Electrics - check (materials - check, my father is a spark - free+some beer :D)

The structure is outstanding :D
Still to decide vertical post timber size, but i think i could span my roof with 2x10 on edge. span goes across (4m), not along (6m). Do you think it would be sufficient ? its 6 planks 2x10in standing on edge, apprx one meter apart.

nice one your on budget then unless your dad and yourself have a heavy thirst :D ;)

First prototype project got scrapped. Budget restraints.
Redesigning using panel building method.

I'm learning quite a lot. Its good for me.

Now shedload of questions (pun intended :D)... Reposting my post at other forum.

1. Panels it is, but i'm worried about the size of front and back being 6m and as a single panel it may be too big ? No ?
2. Covering in OSB, 9mm for walls.
3. I'm aiming for a warm roof, any good examples of cheapish way of doing this ? No kingspan bs :D Need to prevent condensation/damp. Need to plan this ahead as i wont have money to do this right away. Element proofing comes first.
4. Walls to be covered in polyethylene sheet to waterproof ? frame batons - plastic sheet - osb. (not to confuse with breathable fancy sheeting).
5. According to building regs i can space my beams at 600mm if 4m span and 50x200mm timber used. And then put some noggins in, though that is not required.
6. I'm still unsure if i should build all walls equal height (2.4m) and then lift front edge up to form a slope OR build side frames and back frames with 100mm slope in mind ?? I'd say first method is easier. Using firings is an overkill imho...
7. What is the required slope to effectively shed water ? Using either plastic or metal box corrugated. At the moment i'm planning 100mm slope over 4m run.
8. How to secure the whole building to the concrete ? I don't fancy my shed being blown over by some gale force winds...

Sorry for a mess of questions, just sitting here, looking at sketchup and scratching my head...
I had come across some financing so quick comments are appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back