Don’t talk to me about windows!

JBR, do you ACTUALLY believe ANYTHING is for free? :LOL:
No, but a computer expert (who I got to sort out a problem some time ago) explained to me a plausible reason for the 'free' upgrade to Windows 10.

Apparently, being aware of the widespread negative public opinion of Windows 8, they decided to offer upgrades to their new W10 to all owners of W8 (and W7) for free, mainly to keep public interest and confidence in their products.

When W10 comes out pre-installed on new computers, of course, it will be paid for by the computer manufacturers and also, after the first 'free' year, anyone wanting to get W10 will have to pay.

It is still possible that the suspicions of Microsoft demanding payment for future support of W10 is only that; just a suspicion. So we may yet be pleasantly surprised. Personally, though, I want to know more before I upgrade.

Sponsored Links
I've just been reading here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31940716
that Microsoft are offering the 'free' W10 upgrade to 'pirates' in China 'in a hope to "re-engage" with millions of Chinese Windows users'.

Now why would they do that?

Call me a cynic, but in offering W10 for free to owners of pirate copies, wouldn't they then have a captive customer base if they began charging for support and updates? :rolleyes:

I've just been reading here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31940716
that Microsoft are offering the 'free' W10 upgrade to 'pirates' in China 'in a hope to "re-engage" with millions of Chinese Windows users'.

Now why would they do that?

Call me a cynic, but in offering W10 for free to owners of pirate copies, wouldn't they then have a captive customer base if they began charging for support and updates? :rolleyes:

Put the tin foil hat away JBR - luxuriate in the freeness, and feel the love!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back