Take Extreme Care Whilst Handling Wafer-thin Glass!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I haven't got much to do, so thought I'd share a little recent story of mine ;).

Well, a few days ago, I walked about a mile to 'Lee Glass'. Why did I go? Well I needed a pane of glass didn't I lol :LOL:. Ok, so I gave the guy the measurements (about 22 X 30 inches) and so he cut a slice for me. It came to £8. On the way home, I accidently knocked the corner of it on a railing leaving a 1 inch hairline crack :rolleyes:. I was really annoyed. So anyway, I got home, got the old frame to put the new glass in. Cleaned it up a bit and placed the glass ontop. Then I CAREFULLY lifted up the entire thing as a whole to get my hand underneath to slowly lower the glass down with my hands and... CRACK!!! The whole pane snapped in two :(.

So I was absolutely devasted :LOL:.

The glass was extremely thin and bendy. I mean I didn't even do anything to it. It just broke for no reason. I really didn't expect this happening. Maybe I was too careful? :oops:

Oh and I got a really nasty cut out of it too to top it all off :(. Blood was dripping on the lino.

Sponsored Links
Glass that size would normally be supplied in 4 mm although its available in 3 mm but thats usually only used in greenhouses.

New glass is still almost a liquid ( technically a supercooled liquid ).

The small crack you started just continued when you allowed the glass to be stressed.

Tony Glazier

Hi Agile,

Wow I was amazed to see a reply in this thread as it's a bit old now, but I'm glad I got a reply because at least now (thanks to you Agile) that I understand how it broke. It probably was the crack in the corner actually that weakened the whole pane. Ah well, it's my own fault :(.

In the end, I just binned the picture and frame, although I think my mum took it back out to donate it to charity. We bought a new picture instead with the glass ready fitted.

Thanks again for your reply.

It probably was the crack in the corner actually that weakened the whole pane.

Technically thats not really correct! Once the crack has been started then it will very easily continue to the other side.

Its similar to textile material where you can put a small snip in the edge and easily tear it across.

After a few months and years glass solidifies and a small crack at the edge does not easily progress any further.

Its almost impossible to cut glass when its several years old.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
After a few months and years glass solidifies and a small crack at the edge does not easily progress any further.

Its almost impossible to cut glass when its several years old.

So in other words, I could have waited until my 21st birthday until continuing the job and completing it successfully :LOL: :D.

By the way, thanks for that information. I didn't know that :).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back