Small size of glass.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Is it possible to buy glass in the shape of a circle that is about 3cm in diameter AND have an 8mm hole drilled in the centre?

I called my local but they say that the smallest circle they can do is about 15cm!

If this is not possible, is there an alternative, such as perspex or something, and where can it be obtained from?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Something like the lens from a torch, or a watch glass?

How about using a diamond hole saw, sized so the pilot hole and the waste cutout is the finished diameter you need?

It is possible to drill a hole in glass with pillar drill and a bit of copper tube dipped in carborundum paste (the carborundum powder gets embedded in the soft copper and grinds through the glass).
So how about making your own glass hole saw - a bit of 35mm copper tube, say, for the cutter, guided by an 8mm pilot in a hole drilled with an 8mm copper tube?

You can get Perspex or clear acrylic sheet in various thicknesses from many DIY stores

Hi TricklyT.

Sorry, didn't see your reply till now, which is strange because your post was only two days after mine. Maybe I thought there was not going to any reply.

Anyway, I need a thickness of around 6mm, so watch glass or torch would be too thin.

'How about using a diamond hole saw, sized so the pilot hole and the waste cutout is the finished diameter you need?'

Is a 'diamond saw' just a drill bit? Do your instructions refer to two different sizes of saws used at the same time?

I haven't got a pillar drill or a stand unfortunately.

I don't understand how to make my own saw for the same reason as I didn't understand the above, which is that I don't know how a diamond saw works, haha.

I also need polished edges.

Thanks.

i think what you need is a whole cutter, it uses drill bit for a guide / centre piece then as it drills through the centre (you are supposed to drill a pilot hole first) the outer edge cuts through the material.

whats it for?

Sponsored Links
Just get 6mm perspex, easy to cut & drill.
You may have to buy a sheet though

Thanks breezer/Diyisfun.

Oh, so there is a normal drill bit in the middle and a circular cutter whizzing away around it at the same time, so you get two holes at once. I think I get it now.

I'd ideally love to be able to just buy the thing.

UPDATE - I asked again whilst calling for something else and this time they told me that it would be possible!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back