will a standard diamond core fit angle grinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone

I have a stupid question. I need to make some circular (35mm) depressions in concrete, only half a centimetre deep. buying a diamond core with an arbor and a pilot seems like overkill and quite expensive so I was wondering if I could just buy the core and screw it onto my 115mm angle grinder. is the same thread?

any other ideas how to make neat depressions in concrete are welcome. so far the only alternative I can see is to drill lots of small holes around the circle and then cold chisel the rest.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
You should only attempt this if you wish to be a candidate for the Darwin Awards. You can make your entry here: http://www.darwinawards.com/

If you are not suicidal, I recommend you read up on what happens when things rotate an order of magnitude faster than they were designed for.

you are absolutely right ntp, I completely forgot about rotation speed!

thanks!

Even if it didn't fly apart, if it grabs then you and the angle grinder are going to be accelerating to 11000 rpm.

You can buy cheap core bit sets from the likes of Aldi when they have them on offer. If it's just a one off and not too many holes it will probably do the job. You really need a drill with a clutch to do it safely.

Sponsored Links
my thinking was that I would use a short core and just grind, not drill, putting very little pressure and making sure it doesn't get stuck by increasing the diameter slightly. a 40mm core is not that massive, so shouldn't have much kinetic energy. I don't think the motor is powerful enough to send me flying.:cool:

that's the theory anyway.

I since bought a cheap core with an arbor and a pilot and will just use a drill.

thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back